× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Resync after power failure

ieeevhdl
Aspirant

Resync after power failure

I lost power to my ReadyNas NV due to Hurricane Sandy but repowered it when the power came back on. RAIDer version 4.1.10 is reporting that Resync is 8% complete and it will take 4 hours and 20 minutes to complete. It has been a few days but RAIDer is still reporting the same Rysync is 8% complete. All the number remain the same, it is as if nothing changed. I have 4 drives total occupying channels 1-4. I noticed RAIDer is reporting channels 3 and 4 have ATA errors. All the drives have solid green lights on the unit and in RAIDer. My question is this, do I have to be more patient to wait longer for the Resync to complete or do I have some other problem that require action on my part to move it along like replace a drive. I have only one volume using RAID level X.

Any insight or help on the matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Resync after power failure

What brand and model disks are installed? What's the size of the ATA error counts on disks 3 and 4?
Message 2 of 13
ieeevhdl
Aspirant

Channel 1: Seagate ST3400620AS (400 GB)
Channel 2: Seagate ST3400620AS (400 GB)
Channel 3: Western Digital WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 (500 GB) ATA Errors
Channel 4: Western Digital WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 (500 GB) ATA Errors

RAIDar does not tell me how many ATA errors there are. How do I found out? I can't access the setup page due to the Resync operation.
Message 3 of 13
ieeevhdl
Aspirant

Nevermind, I missed the numbers next to the ATA Errors. I must be blind. Each of the Western Digital drive have 18 errors each.
Message 4 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Those errors could have been caused by briefly using those disks with old firmware that they aren't compatible with.

Looks like you've had at least some of those disks a long time. So it's quite likely that one of them is failing.

You might wish to try powering down the NAS, removing the disks (label order), hook them up to your PC and check the SeaGate disks using SeaTools and check the WD disks using WD Lifeguard Diagnostics.
Message 5 of 13
ieeevhdl
Aspirant

The Western Digital harddrives are fairly new. Those are the one that have the ATA errors. The Seagates are the old ones.

Where does the firmware come into play? There NAS was working before the power outage.

Does my situation mean all the data in my RAID volume is lost? That would be very unfortunate.
Message 6 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

Your data may not be lost.
By testing the disks outside the NAS, you may be able to identify a faulty disk which can then replace.
Message 7 of 13
ieeevhdl
Aspirant

Say I test the faulty Western Digital disks outside of the NAS and the WD Lifeguard Diagnostics say they are unrecoverable, how do I recover my data? Doesn't the ReadyNAS NV only can handle one disk failure but not two? Remember I have two disk that have 18 ATA errors each. I am hopeing to recover my data but fearing the worst with my limited understanding of the situation. Am I missing something here?

Channel 1: Seagate ST3400620AS (400 GB)
Channel 2: Seagate ST3400620AS (400 GB)
Channel 3: Western Digital WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 (500 GB) ATA Errors
Channel 4: Western Digital WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 (500 GB) ATA Errors

If situation is better in that only one of Wester Digitals is fauly, once I replace the faulty disk with a new one, will I be able to recover?
Message 8 of 13
vandermerwe
Master

Yes you are correct, you are hoping that only one disk has gone; I would be.
Do you have a backup?
The alternative approach is to try booting with a single disk removed at a time. Just make sure you label the disks for position, and don't remove or add without first powering down the Nas.
If you remove the faulty disk, the unit should boot.
Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

ieeevhdl wrote:
Say I test the faulty Western Digital disks outside of the NAS and the WD Lifeguard Diagnostics say they are unrecoverable, how do I recover my data? Doesn't the ReadyNAS NV only can handle one disk failure but not two? Remember I have two disk that have 18 ATA errors each. I am hopeing to recover my data but fearing the worst with my limited understanding of the situation. Am I missing something here?
I think the first step is to sort out what is broken.

If both disks are completely unreadable, then you have lost data. However, we don't know that is the case at the moment. There are other scenarios which would allow full recovery of the data.
Message 10 of 13
ieeevhdl
Aspirant

I will try to remove a single disk at a time when I get back home and hope for the best.

Are you aware of any pitfalls if I remove one of the faulty disk to connect to a PC and try to recover it using WD Lifeguard Diagnotics? I am afraid of the WD tools attempting to recover the disk but do succeed or not succeed and making it worst for ReadyNAS to recognize the volume.

BTW, I subscribe to ReadyNAS vault. I have regular offsite backup before this mess happened. I guess that is my saving grace. How easy is it to recover from ReadyNAS vault?
Message 11 of 13
StephenB
Guru

ieeevhdl wrote:
...Are you aware of any pitfalls if I remove one of the faulty disk to connect to a PC and try to recover it using WD Lifeguard Diagnotics? I am afraid of the WD tools attempting to recover the disk but do succeed or not succeed and making it worst for ReadyNAS to recognize the volume.?...
Lifeguard will not recover anything - what you should be doing is running the diagnostics (and not running the destructive write test (which zeros the drive).

If you are connecting to the internal SATA and power connectors in the PC, be careful to do this with the PC powered down.
Message 12 of 13
ieeevhdl
Aspirant

I am happy to report success in accessing my RAID volume.

I took vandermerwe advice, powered the (4) disk NAS down and removed one of the faulty disk. I then powered up the NAS with three disks inside, let it file check and resync, after that point I was able to access my data volume. The NAS is without redundancy at this point. I again power down the NAS and put back the disk I previously removed. I powered up the NAS again this time with all four disk inside. After file check and resync, I was able to access my data volume again. This time the NAS is with redundancy.

I did some research and found that having ATA errors is not detrimental by itself. What is more important is the rate of getting ATA errors. The higher the rate the more it indicates a harddrive dying.

It seems my original problem was that my NAS could not deal resyncing with all (4) disk present. It had to be gradually stepped up from bare minimum (3) to (4) disks with power cycles in between.

This lesson has motivated me to purchase a separate external USB drive to backup the NAS locally in addition to ReadyNas vault remotely. Another thing I will do is to connect a USB cable between the UPS and the ReadyNas. This way NAS shuts down properly in event of a long power outage.

I thank vandermerwe and all others that have replied to my post. Your advice has alleviated my fear of data loss. Thanks to all again.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements