× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Resync of an almost failed X-RAID : can I stop resync ?

jfoulquier
Aspirant

Resync of an almost failed X-RAID : can I stop resync ?

Hello,

I'm using a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 with RAIDiator-x86 v4.2.22. The web UI told me that a hard drive was probably about to crash (impending errors). I just bought new hard drive to replace it. My problem is that the ReadyNAS is resyncing now and at this speed, it tells me that the time remaining is ~12 days. It's suspicious : very long. And I'm not sure the old hard drive will keep running that long.

My question : can I stop resyncing without loosing any data to replace the hard drive ?

Thx !
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: Resync of an almost failed X-RAID : can I stop resync ?

You can't really rely on the "time remaining". How long has it been resyncing?

If the NAS is not trying to expand, and the only issue is the single bad drive, then you [theoretically at least] should be able to pull the bad hard drive and replace it with the NAS running.

Though generally I don't like to disrupt resync, it seems like asking for trouble. If the drive does fail, resync will stop and you could replace it then.

So it's a bit of a judgement call. The main thing is to make sure you have a full backup. If you don't, I would make one now.
Message 2 of 8
jfoulquier
Aspirant

I unfortunately can't have a full backup (too big, can't afford) but I'm aware I should.
Yes the time remaining is a bit odd. It keeps decreasing/increasing. It's running since last sunday night, so it's not that old since I have big drives. I'll wait for 1 or 2 days to see if it ends somewhere thanks.
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Probably you should at least make sure you have fresh copies of the "critical" files (whatever you think those are).

The time estimate depends a bit on load. Also, every time a new sector comes up bad on the failing disk, things slow down. Probably you should keep an eye on the SMART stats (particularly reallocated and pending sector counts). What would be very bad is if the other disks start degrading/failing too.
Message 4 of 8
jfoulquier
Aspirant

Ok thanks StephenB.
Message 5 of 8
ihartley
Tutor

Stop as many services as you can. It will whizz through
Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

ihartley wrote:
Stop as many services as you can. It will whizz through
I agree that can help, especially ReadyDLNA. Though if there are disk i/o errors, it will still be slow.
Message 7 of 8
jfoulquier
Aspirant

Thank you folks. I'm glad to say that it finally endeds the resync yesterday evening. I then changed the hard drive and this morning when I walked up, the expansion has been done. It all works fine, the day is beautiful, my datas are saveds and I'm happy 🙂

++
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements