× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Resync off

bolter
Aspirant

Resync off

I am currently running firmware 6.9.1 with X-Raid 5 and originally had 6 - 3Tb HDD's installed. I upgraded disc 1 from 3Tb to 6Tb but noticed no capacity increase. I am about to upgrade the 2nd disc to a 6Tb HDD as well, will I then notice any capacity increase. I also noticed that the Resync button in the Admin page is off. does this need to be on?

Admin.jpg

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Resync off

@bolter wrote:

I also noticed that the Resync button in the Admin page is off. does this need to be on?

It says "Rsync" not "Resync"  Rsync is a backup service that is built into Unix/Linux.  If you don't use it, then you should leave it off.

@bolter wrote:

I am about to upgrade the 2nd disc to a 6Tb HDD as well, will I then notice any capacity increase. 

Yes.  The capacity rule for XRAID (single redundancy) is sum the disks and subtract the largest.  So you need two disks of the largest size to see any increase.   Make sure the first resync is finished before you hot-swap the second 6 TB disk.  The system will then resync (with no volume increase).  You should be prompted for a reboot when that finished, and after you do that you should see a volume increase to 18 TB (~16.3 TiB). 

Note the NAS uses TiB units, though it labels them as TB.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Resync off

@bolter wrote:

I also noticed that the Resync button in the Admin page is off. does this need to be on?

It says "Rsync" not "Resync"  Rsync is a backup service that is built into Unix/Linux.  If you don't use it, then you should leave it off.

@bolter wrote:

I am about to upgrade the 2nd disc to a 6Tb HDD as well, will I then notice any capacity increase. 

Yes.  The capacity rule for XRAID (single redundancy) is sum the disks and subtract the largest.  So you need two disks of the largest size to see any increase.   Make sure the first resync is finished before you hot-swap the second 6 TB disk.  The system will then resync (with no volume increase).  You should be prompted for a reboot when that finished, and after you do that you should see a volume increase to 18 TB (~16.3 TiB). 

Note the NAS uses TiB units, though it labels them as TB.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements