× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rogue Shares

dlargo
Aspirant

Rogue Shares

I have a unique issue.  I recently purchased a 214 4 Bay device and everything is working great so far...but for some reason under windows explorer I see 3 shared folders that do not exist on the NAS itself.  I cannot access them using the admin password or I get an error message that the file is no longer available.  Not a big deal but a bit frustrating that I cannot remove them.

Thanks

Danny

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: Rogue Shares

I suspect you have ReadyDLNA enabled, and are looking at the NAS as a "media device" in the network list. 

ReadyDLNA categorizes by media type, and those categories will show up as "folders" that aren't shares.

Message 2 of 5
dlargo
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.....it is a default system with only the name of the unit changed.  I am viewing it through the windows explorer window under the network.

Danny

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

ReadyDLNA is enabled by default.  If the device you see under Network has the Netgear stylized N logo, then you are looking at it as a media device, even though you may not realize it.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

wrote:

If the device you see under Network has the Netgear stylized N logo, then you are looking at it as a media device, even though you may not realize it.

Windows Explorer categorizes the network list and the NAS is often listed in more than once (in different categories).  With Windows 10, the DLNA server in the NAS will show up as a "media device".  The NAS also will frequently show up as a "storage device" and as a "computer".

What happens when you click on those instances depends on Windows.  With the Media Device, you are seeing ReadyDLNA's organization of your media (music, video, photo, ...) - they are shown as folders, but they are not.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements