× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Root access permissions

dsmiller
Aspirant

Root access permissions

I have been having issues with permissions on one share. In an effort to correct the problem, I inadvertently changed the owner of share, and can no longer access the data in the share, nor do I now have permissions to change the share owner. I tried changing the owner permission in Frontview>Shares>Share Listing>CIFS (for the share in question)>Advanced Options. I set the Shared Folder Owner to admin, and the Share folder group to users, with the permissions all set to Read/write. I checked the Set ownership and permissions check box and clicked Apply. I got a message back saying Share contents ownership and permissions changed to match the share, which I assumed meant that the owner of the root had been changed. But, the owner still was not reset, and I still cannot access the share. On a Windows 7 Pro client, the owner for that share says Unable to display current owner. Any ideas?

My other share is still working fine.
My device is a ReadyNAS NV+, vs. 4.1.14.

Thanks,
Message 1 of 8
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Try

Shared Folder Owner = admin
Share folder group = admin

or

Shared Folder Owner = root
Share folder group = root
Message 2 of 8
dsmiller
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I tried both admin-admin, and root-root, but neither worked. The ownership and permissions on the contents of the share may have been changed, but the ownership of the share itself is not changing. Any other ideas?
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

This has worked for me in the past. Are you using "share security mode"???

Did you also try
Shared Folder Owner = nobody
Share folder group = nogroup

Also, did you disconnect/reconnect to the NAS when the ownership change completed?
Message 4 of 8
dsmiller
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. I am using the Domain security Mode. 'nobody' was not allowed for the group permissions so tried 'nobody' for owner and 'admin' for group, with no luck.
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

"nogroup" was the suggestion for group permissions. However, Domain security might be the real culprit here.

Not sure if you tried mapping the "C" volume to a drive letter (which you can do with NAS admin credentials). Then you could try right-clicking on the folder and setting the owner.

But I'd You install EnableRootSSH from here (http://www.readynas.com/?p=4203) and fix it manually. You need the Sparc download. You install it as if it were a firmware update. Afterwards you can use Putty (or equivalent) to log in via ssh. Logon is "root", the password is NAS your admin password. Then cd /c/ and you can adjust the permissions with normal linux commands.
Message 6 of 8
dsmiller
Aspirant

Ah yes! Now I can see that I didn't read StephenB's previous post correctly. I tried it again using 'nobody' and 'nogroup'. Still no success.

I did try mapping the share to a drive letter using the NAS\admin credentials, but it wouldn't connect.

I'll have to see if I'm brave enough to try the last suggestion.

Thanks for you help.
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

The failure to connect might also be related to domain security.

But sometimes you need to enter "net use * /delete" in a command window before you map the drive. Also, try both the NAS name and its IP address (windows treats them as different machines).
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements