× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Root filled up, now cannot connect...

john_es
Aspirant

Root filled up, now cannot connect...

I have a ReadyNAS Pro 6. I turned on ReadyDlna and let it scan over the past few days. What I didn't realize is that it was storing its database on root. Now my unit is unusable via frontview, can't SSH into it, etc.

I am going to try an OS reset -- my questions are:
- Is there any other way to solve this?
- What effect does the OS reset have on installed addons? If it solves the problem, how does it clear off space?

Thanks,
John
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An OS Re-install would not fix this. This issue needs to be fixed remotely. After it is fixed you can install an add-on to move to using the data volume for storing the ReadyDLNA database.
Message 2 of 14
john_es
Aspirant

Shoot! How do I solve it remotely?

John
Message 3 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

By remotely I meant fixed by tech support.
Message 4 of 14
john_es
Aspirant

Ah, but it's behind a corporate firewall and there's no way that they are going to let in remote access.

So I guess the only thing to do is a factory reset then? I can't believe that the builtin dlna plugin would do something so destructive. That boggles my mind.
Message 5 of 14
StephenB
Guru

If you can no longer connect with ssh, then tech support mode and factory reset are the main options. I guess if you can mount disk 1 in another linux system (NAS powered off) you could attempt to delete the database from there, and then reinstall it back in the pro (again NAS powered down). Nothing to lose if a factory reset is in your future anyway.

If you need dlna, there is a way to tell readydlna to put its database somewhere else. There is a convenient add-on here: https://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&start=15
So maybe do that after you get the NAS operational again.
Message 6 of 14
john_es
Aspirant

Since I had nothing to lose, I telnet'd in, deleted the dlna cache, and did an OS reset. All is well now.

Netgear support is completely useless - and I still find it amazing that they ship a defective dlna addon that has the ability to brick a NAS.

Happy ending though - and thanks to your help I was actually able to get this fixed.

John
Message 7 of 14
InTheShires
Tutor

john_es wrote:
Since I had nothing to lose, I telnet'd in, deleted the dlna cache, and did an OS reset. All is well now.

Netgear support is completely useless - and I still find it amazing that they ship a defective dlna addon that has the ability to brick a NAS.

Happy ending though - and thanks to your help I was actually able to get this fixed.

John

I manually edit etc/minidlna.conf and tell it to store the logs on C so there are no space restrictions. Simple, quick and effective.

Not sure why you'd have to resort to NTGR online "Techs" in instances like this. It'd be the last people I'd want to turn to.
Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

I don't think its the logs in this case, I think its the dlna database. The add-on I linked in above will move adjust its config to save it on C.
Message 9 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

InTheShires wrote:

Not sure why you'd have to resort to NTGR online "Techs" in instances like this. It'd be the last people I'd want to turn to.

Not sure why you'd say this. NetGear's L3 techs would have fixed issues like the one john_es had a large number of times. The root partition normally shouldn't fill up but there are some reasons why it can (such as a very large ReadyDLNA database or logs filling up the OS partition very, very fast before they can be rotated). It would be very easy for them to remove the file(s) that are filling the OS partition and check for other possible related issues. These steps are too complicated for many users. Also a user may miss something important that support would notice.
Message 10 of 14
john_es
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
I don't think its the logs in this case, I think its the dlna database. The add-on I linked in above will move adjust its config to save it on C.

Yep, it was the dlna database. I just went in and removed the database. I did do an OS reinstall as there were some things off in frontview, but that worked perfectly.
Message 11 of 14
john_es
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
InTheShires wrote:

Not sure why you'd say this. NetGear's L3 techs would have fixed issues like the one john_es had a large number of times. The root partition normally shouldn't fill up but there are some reasons why it can (such as a very large ReadyDLNA database or logs filling up the OS partition very, very fast before they can be rotated). It would be very easy for them to remove the file(s) that are filling the OS partition and check for other possible related issues. These steps are too complicated for many users. Also a user may miss something important that support would notice.

I agree that it's too complicated for many users, however they should have been able to give me instructions. Instead I read a very helpful post online that had the 4 steps I needed. I also had a full backup of the NAS so even if I messed up, I wouldn't have lost anything.

Still, there should be no reason why Netgear ships plugins (or sets up log files) that has the potential to render a NAS useless, especially when there are easy workarounds.
Message 12 of 14
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
InTheShires wrote:
Not sure why you'd say this. NetGear's L3 techs would have fixed issues like the one john_es had a large number of times...
I agree with mdgm on this. Though it would be very annoying to need to pay for L3 support to clean the OS partition, given that Netgear's software created the problem.

john_es wrote:
...Still, there should be no reason why Netgear ships plugins (or sets up log files) that has the potential to render a NAS useless, especially when there are easy workarounds.
I agree that this is an area where they can improve the firmware. If they had a separate partition for add-on data storage and logs, then the OS partition itself could not fill up.

There should at least be a warning that the OS partition is getting full, and ideally a way to clean it from frontview. ReadyDLNA and other Netgear add-ons shouldn't create its database on it [ever] and third-party add-ons shouldn't either.
Message 13 of 14
InTheShires
Tutor

StephenB wrote:

The Conf editting allows the setting of logs AND db file to be stored somewhere much more suitable. (eg, on c and something like .ReadyDLNA)
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements