× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rsync Failure on some shares...will not even start

raminmd
Aspirant

Rsync Failure on some shares...will not even start

Hi all,

I recently bought a ReadyNAS 516 to replace an old ReadyNAS Pro.

I have about 3.5 TB of data in 6 shares on the pro that I need to Rsync to the 516.

I did an Rsync on one of the shares (about 2 TB) of data successfully. I started on Thursday and it finished last night.

This morning, I tried to start the Rsync on another share. However, it keeps failing as soon as it starts. I tried it with two separate shares on the pro and both shares fail immediately after I try to start the Rsync. Here is the log from one of the failures

----
FULL Backup started. Mon Dec 8 12:38:41 EST 2014

Job: 016
Protocol: rsync
Source: [Design]/
Destination: 192.168.1.45::Design

sending incremental file list
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes to socket [sender]: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (5 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(600) [sender=3.0.6]

Backup failed. Mon Dec 8 12:39:24 EST 2014.

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path /Design/ ==> 192.168.1.45::Design due to unknown reason. Please see log.

--------------------END

I cannot figure it out. I tried to run the Rsync on the first share again (the one that successfully completed) to see if maybe there was a network issue that was causing the new Rsync jobs to fail. The Rsync on the first share ran successfully without any issues.

FYI, the pro also sucessfully backs up all the shares nightly via rsync to a back up server (a ReadyNAS NVX) without any issues.

What could be causing the Rsync to fail between the Pro and the 516 for some shares?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 3
vandermerwe
Master

What firmware is on the pro, and on the 516?
Have you checked that rsync is active on the share on the 516 and that it is read/write not just read?
Message 2 of 3
raminmd
Aspirant

Thank you so much 😄 . I missed changing the Rsync to read/write on the new share. I remember changing it on the first but I just skipped that part on the new shares. Everything is going great now.

The funny part is I went through the Rsync screen a few times trying to trouble shoot but just glossed over the read/write part.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements