× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rsync SSH backups failing

haus
Aspirant

Rsync SSH backups failing

On my readyNAS 102 running 6.6.1, for about a week now I've been seeing rsync backup failures when trying to back up a remote server over SSH. Another server backs up just fine (both jobs were created at the same time, over a year ago, and have been running flawlessly every night at 1am until a few days ago).

The error on the ReadyNAS:

tail: backup_003_error.log: file truncated
Failed to run rsync, return rc 65280 (255)
'rsync' command returns rc=65280

and

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (59 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226) [receiver=3.1.1]
rsync: [generator] write error: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(820) [generator=3.1.1]

The first error seems like an issue on the readyNAS, but the second error seems like my remote server is closing the connection. I wonder if anyone has seen anything like this recently that might provide a clue. I've tried turning off my firewall on the remote server and the backup still fails, but the test connection works fine in the backup job settings.

Model: RN10211D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
haus
Aspirant

Re: Rsync SSH backups failing

Solved it. There was a typo in a setting in my server sshd_config that was causing client disconnects within 60s on this server. While rsync was calculating the checksum on the NAS (which takes about 10 minutes for this particular file), the ssh connection was being dropped, so as soon as it started to attempt to transfer, the backup would fail. I edited the server config to allow more ClientAliveCountMax retries and it's fine now.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
haus
Aspirant

New information - if I delete the original .tar file on my ReadyNAS (in the backup destination) before running the backup job, the backup works fine.

Message 2 of 4
haus
Aspirant

...and now it's working fine again; I've run 3 incremental backups and it works perfectly now after a new initial backup. The odd thing was I did a new initial backup yesterday and the incrementals were still failing afterward, so I'm not sure why it "took" this time. I'll repost if it breaks again.

Message 3 of 4
haus
Aspirant

Solved it. There was a typo in a setting in my server sshd_config that was causing client disconnects within 60s on this server. While rsync was calculating the checksum on the NAS (which takes about 10 minutes for this particular file), the ssh connection was being dropped, so as soon as it started to attempt to transfer, the backup would fail. I edited the server config to allow more ClientAliveCountMax retries and it's fine now.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements