× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Running truecrypt on the NAS?

theindustry
Aspirant

Running truecrypt on the NAS?

Hi everyone,

Would it be possible to run truecrypt on the NAS, SSH into the NAS - enter the password and unmount a encrypted file locally on the NAS and thereby letting the NAS share the unmounted data and handling the file sharing on the network?

I am aware of the performance issues caused by encryption, however I'm in a situation where it may be beneficial to have Truecrypt running on the NAS without having to mount a file on another computer before sharing it on the network.

Thanks
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What model ReadyNAS do you have?

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 8
theindustry
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

It's a ReadyNas Duo RND2000...
Message 3 of 8
theindustry
Aspirant

Anyone?
Message 4 of 8
jamestx10
Aspirant

I would be interested in this on the ultra as well. I use truecrypt on my USB drives that I backup the NAS too. So for right now I cannot backup right from the NAS.
Message 5 of 8
underhillm
Aspirant

I'd be interested in this too. The QNAP boxes have 256bit encryption built in.
Message 6 of 8
sfinktah
Aspirant

Yes, you can, and I am.

nas:/c/tc/rndp/linux-2.6.37.6# uname -a
Linux nas 2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.1 #1 SMP Mon Aug 15 16:19:41 PDT 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
nas:/c/tc/rndp/linux-2.6.37.6# mount
/dev/md0 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
tmpfs on /ramfs type ramfs (rw)
tmpfs on /USB type tmpfs (rw,size=16k)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/c/c on /c type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,acl,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv1)
truecrypt on /tmp/.truecrypt_aux_mnt1 type fuse.truecrypt (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other)
/dev/mapper/truecrypt1 on /c/home/mini/clear type ext4 (rw)

I'm running the linux binary from truecrypt.org, on a ReadyNas PRO. i.e. it's running x86_64 Linux anyway, so the binary is compatible.

It took me the best part of a day to get it to work though, but in the end the problem was it needed a kernel module compiled: 'dm-crypt' ... although I compiled a lot of other modules, some of which may or may not be needed.

And it's far from automated... you have to log in via SSH and mount the volume. Performance is less than it would be, even with the grunt of the Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz that's in this beast.
Message 7 of 8
chirpa
Luminary

TrueCrypt can run on the x86 models, but not on the Sparc models (Duo,NV+).
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements