× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SCP protocol on ReadyNAS 3138

Thonglin
Aspirant

SCP protocol on ReadyNAS 3138

Dear Support, I try to configure the backup from Cisco switch to ReadyNAS 3138 by SCP protocol but it failed. The error message on the switch as below: %Error writing scp://user:password@192.168.1.1/Configurations/SW-20191111.txt (Protocol error) Do you have any advice for SCP configuration on ReadyNAS 3138? The FTP is working OK. Best Regards, Thonglin

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Thonglin wrote:

Dear Support, I try to configure the backup from Cisco switch to ReadyNAS 3138 by SCP protocol but it failed. The error message on the switch as below: %Error writing scp://user:password@192.168.1.1/Configurations/SW-20191111.txt (Protocol error) Do you have any advice for SCP configuration on ReadyNAS 3138? The FTP is working OK. Best Regards, Thonglin

You are running the SCP command on the NAS using SSH?  Or you are running the SCP command on the switch? (I'm thinking you're running it on the switch, but want to confirm).

This isn't something I've ever tried.  SSH would need to be enabled for whatever account you are using on the NAS, and the path would need to include the data volume name.  It seems unlikely that the NAS IP address is 192.168.1.1???

FWIW, you aren't talking to Support here. This is a community forum.  If you want to talk with paid support, you can reach them through my.netgear.com.

Message 2 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Of course, SCP is workable on ReadyNAS OS6 systems. It's not a dedicated service, much more it's a default called ssh program. Said that, you need to enable the shell access for the user account on the NAS. And be aware that you can't use (e.g. for testing) the admin user -. for ssh it would be root (but that's a no-go anyway, you don't want to store the root password e.g on a switch).

Message 3 of 9
Thonglin
Aspirant

I would like to backup the cisco switch config to ReadyNAS 3138.

NAS IP: 192.168.1.1/24

User: cisco

Password: password

SSH is enable.

Allow shell acess on the user is enable.

The error message on the cisco switch as below:

SW-VLVT-LL-3#copy running-config scp://cisco:password@192.168.1.1/Configurations/SW-Test.txt
Address or name of remote host [192.168.1.1]?
Destination username [cisco]?
Destination filename [Configurations/SW-Test.txt]?
Writing Configurations/SW-Test.txt
%Error writing scp://*****:*****@192.168.1.1/Configurations/SW-Test.txt (Undefined error)

The following backup is including path VOLUME but still not working

SW-VLVT-LL-3#copy running-config scp://cisco:password@192.168.1.1/VOLUME/Configurations/SW-Test.txt
Address or name of remote host [192.168.1.1]?
Destination username [cisco]?
Destination filename [VOLUME/Configurations/SW-Test.txt]?
Writing VOLUME/Configurations/SW-Test.txt
%Error writing scp://*****:*****@192.168.1.1/VOLUME/Configurations/SW-Test.txt (Undefined error)

Any idea of this issue?

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Not sure from where you have the idea that /Configurations or /VOLUME/Configurations/ should be used as destination folders.

ssh, scp or ftps on a ReadyNAS are not pointing to a virtual root, much more it's all referring the effective root file system. To bring the data into a shared folder (as configured for share access) use /data/[sharedfoldername]/ or for the user home folder use /home/[username] as the destination folder.

Message 5 of 9
Thonglin
Aspirant

When I create a new share it automatic create under /VOLUME/....

I using a user: vbackup to send the cisco config file to NAS.

Please see picture in attached.

Can you give me the instruction of using SCP backup to the NAS?

Best Regards,

Thonglin

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

The ReadyNAS Web UI designations are very different from the implementation and the effective file system and mount structure on the Linux system. As I said before,  ssh, scp or ftps on a ReadyNAS are not pointing to a virtual root, much more it's all referring the effective root file system. To bring the data into a shared folder (as configured for share access) use /data/[sharedfoldername]/ or for the user home folder use /home/[username] as the destination folder. 

For the share named Configurations, it's mounted under /data/Configurations - that's the path you need to use on the switch scp client for referring to that share storage destination.

Afraid, you have to become familiar with what is under the ReadyNAS hood for these purposes - some peek and poke using ssh (and the ReadyNAS root or a user account with permitted shell access) can help. The same applies to other NAS vendor implementations. For example, on the QNAP we have symlinks available on the file system root, here you could simply refer to /Configurations - what is undoubted more handy and user friendly.

Also useful could be some OpenSSH clients installed, Windows 10 does allow the installation of OpenSSH  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/openssh/openssh_install_firstuse - you need just the OpenSSH client. This allows to do some testing in an easier way than using any embedded scp on a switch.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Thonglin wrote:

When I create a new share it automatic create under /VOLUME/....

I using a user: vbackup to send the cisco config file to NAS.

Your path should be /VOLUME/Configurations/ - you apparently are using FlexRaid on the NAS, with VOLUME as the volume name.

I also suggest testing your vbackup account (logging into the NAS with ssh using it's credentials).

Your posted commands seem to be using cisco as the account and not vbackup though.

@Thonglin wrote:

scp://cisco:password@192.168.1.1/VOLUME/Configurations/SW-Test.txt

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@StephenB always forget abot the Flex Volume ... of course, wrong username used, too. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements