× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SMART Errors not generating alerts

vrspectre
Apprentice

SMART Errors not generating alerts

So I upgraded from 6TB to 10TB drives and went to check on how they're doing. I noticed that one of them has been increasing the number of realloc_sect and realloc_evnt every day by 8. It's up to 88 so far. This is a brand new drive so gonna send it back, no problem there. My question is, why hasn't my NAS notified me of the problem? Why is it just logging this and ignoring it? 

I've got all the alerts checked. Is there another checkbox somewhere that I'm missing? 

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: SMART Errors not generating alerts

Netgear development set the SMART email alert thresholds much too high in my opinion (and apparently also in yours).  I posted a request to have user-settable thresholds for SMART alerts some years ago, but so far it's been ignored.  Peronally I'd set the threshold to 0, so every SMART error would generate an alert (as OS 4.2 does).

I don't know why they haven't addressed this - for one thing it puts support in an awkward position (since they routinely suggest disk replacements even though the NAS has the disk as "green").   

I know of no workaround - other than periodically looking at the SMART stats manually. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: SMART Errors not generating alerts

Netgear development set the SMART email alert thresholds much too high in my opinion (and apparently also in yours).  I posted a request to have user-settable thresholds for SMART alerts some years ago, but so far it's been ignored.  Peronally I'd set the threshold to 0, so every SMART error would generate an alert (as OS 4.2 does).

I don't know why they haven't addressed this - for one thing it puts support in an awkward position (since they routinely suggest disk replacements even though the NAS has the disk as "green").   

I know of no workaround - other than periodically looking at the SMART stats manually. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements