× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SMB1 Issue Workaround

Grandad
Aspirant

SMB1 Issue Workaround

I got round the SMB1 issue on my RND2150 by using FTP.  Essentially you log into your ReadyNas and enable FTP in services and enable FTP for the share.  Then in Windows Explorer enter ftp:\\ipaddress\sharename\ and it should list the folders as usual.  You then pin this to the Quick Access.  Access is slow at first as the share content is transferred but then is OK. The detail on this is available in the ReadyNas manual and search for FTP in Explorer on the net.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: SMB1 Issue Workaround

@Grandad wrote:

I got round the SMB1 issue on my RND2150 by using FTP. 

You can also install the NFS client on the PC. That also works, but (like FTP) doesn't seem to perform as well as SMB.

None of these protocols are secure though, so if you can reinstall the SMB1 client on the PC, you might as well do that.

Message 2 of 4
Grandad
Aspirant

Hi StephenB  Thanks for that.  I do intend to try NFS on my W10 Pro machine but the others are W10 Home so do not have NFS.  As you say SMB1 can be switched on if required.  Conveniently the two RND2000s are Grandfather and GreatGrandfather backups (paranoid, me!) so I rarely need file access.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Grandad wrote:

Conveniently the two RND2000s are Grandfather and GreatGrandfather backups (paranoid, me!)

I'm with you there.  My Duo v1 and NV+ v1 are tertiary backups too.  I've turned off SMB on them, as all they need is rsync.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements