× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SOS-MAYDAY Problems after installing new drive #25819626

TonyHughes
Aspirant

SOS-MAYDAY Problems after installing new drive #25819626

I have a Readynas 104, running OS6.2.5

It was populated with 3 500Gb HDD's one of which showed signs of failing.  I removed the failing HDD a few days ago, and all my files were fine, the volume said it was degraded but X-Raid worked fine and everything was still in place. 

I bought a new HDD to replace the failed unit a 2Tb Seagate st2000vn000-1hj164.  I fitted the new drive to the RN last night and left it to build overnight.

This morning I accessed the ReadyNAS from the web interface and all my settings were gone.  It was like I had unpacked it from the box and started fresh.  The web interface asked me to create a new account and register the readynas.

Looking at the volumes page my existing 2 500Gb HDDs are now highlighted in Red with a message to remove inactive volumes in order to use the disk#1,2 beside the pie chart on the left they show as having 0 data and 0 free and are set up as Raid 5 the 2Tb drive is blue with no data on it at all and is listed as JBOD on the pie chart on the left of the screen.

What went wrong?  How do I get to all my data on the 2 good drives? How do I add the new drive to the set?

I looked at my readycloud page on my iPad and all the photos are still there.  Is there a way to get these back onto the drives if I need to format it all (please no!)

Hope you all can help

Message 1 of 4
TonyHughes
Aspirant

Re: SOS-MAYDAY Problems after installing new drive

So in an effort to get back to the status quo, I reoved the 2Tb HDD.

I now get a message on the front panel telling me I have now hace 'used' disks installed and to use RAIDar.

RAIDar tells me there is data on the disks but only gives me the option to format.  Of course there is data on the disks.  I put it there when they were instaled in the readynas before I tried to add a new disk.

The ReadyNAS admin page on the web GUI now tells methat it is offline.

I bought this thing because it was supposed to be simple to use and easy to replace disks when they went wrong.  Simple is proving to be anything but!

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

FWIW, it sounds like you did everything correctly, and it should have worked.

If you have no backup, I would contact support (support.netgear.com).

Message 3 of 4
TonyHughes
Aspirant

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 13.56.13.pngHow do I get the 2 red HDD's with all my data back online? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements