× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SSH problem on Ultra 2

avicenne13
Aspirant

SSH problem on Ultra 2

Hi

Using the latest firmware on ReadyNAS Ultra 2. Enabled root SSH after OS reinstall. I get the following error:

ssh root@192.168.1.88
Connection closed by 192.168.1.88

Checked logs (bootinfo.log) I see that SSH is actually on ssh: 13******434

No known network issues, on a gigabit wired network.

Please help.
Message 1 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you download the logs what do the lines look like that include SSH in services.conf
Message 2 of 7
avicenne13
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response.

It states SSH=1
Message 3 of 7
avicenne13
Aspirant

@mdgm thank you for your help offer, I've been away from the device for the last couple of days, will do if I go there.

But I discovered this:

Feb 16 17:48:58 vega sshd[6050]: error: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Feb 16 17:48:58 vega sshd[6050]: error: @ WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE! @
Feb 16 17:48:58 vega sshd[6050]: error: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Feb 16 17:48:58 vega sshd[6050]: error: Permissions 0670 for '/etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key' are too open.
Feb 16 17:48:58 vega sshd[6050]: error: It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
Feb 16 17:48:58 vega sshd[6050]: error: This private key will be ignored.
Feb 16 17:48:58 vega sshd[6050]: error: bad permissions: ignore key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
Feb 16 17:48:58 vega sshd[6050]: error: Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
Feb 16 17:48:58 vega sshd[6050]: error: Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

I think I know how it happened, I was trying to change the permissions of a file, but I most probably did it too generic. This was also the reason that I did a OS reinstall as well.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
Message 4 of 7
avicenne13
Aspirant

Problem solved. Let me write the steps that I did for future reference:

- the problem -- ssh lockdown due to too open RSA key, permissions messed up by the user

- the solution: *****do it at your own risk*****
1. put the ReadyNAS into tech support mode
2. telnet over port 23
3. log in with root username and password (google this password, it is easy to find)
4. mount the regular boot partition of the device as follows
echo DEVICE partitions > /etc/mdadm.conf
mdadm --examine --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf
mdadm --assemble --scan
mount /dev/md0 /mnt
5. go to /etc/ssh/
6. rename the key files ssh_host_dsa_key and ssh_host_dsa_key.pub to another name for backup purposes using mv command
7. reboot the device
8. if you are using terminal, you should sudo the ssh or delete the keys on your computer prior to connection attempt

you should be good to go..

thanks to mdgm for the inspiration, some steps are copied from: http://onlyblueatwork.wordpress.com/201 ... -recovery/
Message 5 of 7
avicenne13
Aspirant

As a faster alternative to step #4 - by mdgm

On RAIDiator: # /bin/start_raid.sh

On ReadyNAS OS 6: # rnutil start_raids
Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The mount command would still be needed (at least on RAIDiator).
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements