× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Safe tu update to 6.5?

EKroboter
Apprentice

Safe tu update to 6.5?

After the 6.4 update debacle, I swore to never update my RN516 again. I lost days trying to get things running again, and after several chats with Netgear's support staff, it's been working perfectly fine under 6.4.2 with AV disabled. Transfer speed over Gigabit max out at around 120-130MB/s, SMB access is snappy, disk Balance and defrags are completed without errors and very quickly.

So, I'm not planning on updating to 6.5 since I don't have the need to at this point, but I was wondering if it'd be safe to. Apparently 6.5 solves a few issues and adds a couple of features, but nothing that compels me to pull the trigger. This is after all a production unit and our business depends on it.

Any thoughts?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

It has been working well for me on my RN102 and RN202.  I like the custom snapshot feature - in particular the ability to set a max retention for snapshots.  The performance of directly attached NTFS USB drives is greatly improved.  There are also some security patches.

The only new issue I've found is that I needed to disable spindown when I scheduled the custom snapshots.

But I am seeing some risk (beyond ReadyCloud).  Some here are reporting issues with SMB access after the upgrade.  In some cases, SMB is simply turned off on the NAS and can't be turned back on.  In others SMB appears normal on the NAS but some people still are having trouble connecting.  A few other users are reporting "inactive volumes".

Like 6.4.x, Netgear is saying not to downgrade to earlier firmware.

I don't advise leaving the NAS down rev forever, but there is some merit in being cautious on a new release.  If you are happy with your current performance and your NAS is not exposed to the internet, then perhaps monitor the forum for a bit longer before taking the update.  

Message 2 of 9
EKroboter
Apprentice

Thank you for your input Stephen. I'm going to err on the side of caution this time and wait it out. Loosing SMB access would be a nightmare, we have about 20 users accesing files from the NAS.

Message 3 of 9
cpu8088
Virtuoso

for commercial use of a 516 with lots of dynamic data it may be wise to get a 2nd nas for backup

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@cpu8088 wrote:

for commercial use of a 516 with lots of dynamic data it may be wise to get a 2nd nas for backup 

I agree.  Lost productivity would be far more expensive than a backup NAS.  It could be a RN316 if price is a problem.

Message 5 of 9
stevecr25
Aspirant

DO NOT UPDATE TO FIRMWARE 6.5.0

I have two ReadyNAS 3130's, well, used to have two of them...

Firmware 6.5.0 was supposed to resolve the Anti-Virus slowdown issue with 6.4.1. After installing the update I soon lost all connectivity to ADS on my domain. None of my users could access any of their data on the ReadyNAS. User and group permissions were lost on all shares. I contacted support and they said they were aware of the problem and had no resolution as this time. 

It's been two weeks since I contacted support. No fix or workaround has been released. This is a major issue and a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. Too many issues from day one with my 3130's. 

I have managed to migrate all of my data onto other servers and have shutdown my ReadyNAS systems. 

Model: RN3130|READYNAS 3130 1U 4-Bay
Message 6 of 9
EKroboter
Apprentice

What a nightmare. I skipped AD integration as we were transitioning domains and didn't want to mess up share permissions. I ended up creating loacal users with the exact user names and password, and used the NetBIOS domain name as the Workgroup. Works great, any domain users has direct access to the NAS shares and everyone sees its own personal folder. 

Of course, there's no user credentials sync. If I have to add a new user, I have to do it in both AD and ReadyNAS, but that doesn't really concern me. Is not like I'm changing users every week (and they cannot change their passwords either, I set them myself).

As everything is working just fine now, I'll skip the upgrade and stick to "never touch a running system". 

Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@stevecr25 wrote:

It's been two weeks since I contacted support. No fix or workaround has been released.

The last updates I see on your support case indicate that support left email and voicemail asking you for a good time to call you to work with you.

Message 8 of 9
stevecr25
Aspirant

EKroboter ,

Good choice on not configuring full ADS Integration... It was great while it worked but a nightmare when they broke it with the 6.5.0 update.

I've had too many issues and with my Netgear to be able to continue using it. Support has worked with me on the random crashing and lockup issues with no resolution as of yet. The ADS issue is over two weeks old now with no fix in sight. Not to mention the Anti-Virus scanner issue with 6.4.1... 

So, that's it for me on these forums, good luck to all with the outstanding issues.

-Steve

Model: RN3130|READYNAS 3130 1U 4-Bay
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements