× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Saving data from a wonky ReadyNAS NV+ (v1)

msilverz
Aspirant

Saving data from a wonky ReadyNAS NV+ (v1)

Greetings. I know that variants of this question have been discussed many times, but I suspect my question is even more basic than the others here. I've spent 45 minutes searching for an answer, and I haven't found one. (If it's out there, I apologize.)

Anyway, I've got good reason to think that my ReadyNAS NV+ (v1) is dying or dead. For reasons that aren't worth going into at this point, I'm fairly certain that the issue is with the machine itself, rather than the drives (a pair of 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP drives). (After having all sorts of problems accessing the drive on the network, I performed an OS Reinstall following the instructions online. That seemed to work fine, but now when I turn the machine on it just says "Booting . . ." indefinitely. I've waited a couple of hours, and there's no change. RAIDar detects the drive for a moment after I turn it on, but then it disappears from RAIDar, never to return.)

So, here's my question. Assuming that the drives themselves are not faulty, if I connect them to my PC laptop via something like this docking station:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UA3I72/

Will I be able to access the data straight away? Given that the drives were formatted by the NV+, will I be able to read them just using Windows and this kind of docking station? Or will I need to go to more elaborate lengths to recover the data that is stored on them? (Again, let's just assume that the drives are not damaged in any way, even though I recognize that it's a possibility.)

Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate it!

Matthew

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

A full OS partition is fairly easy to diagnose/fix if you have ssh enabled. The add-on to do that ("Enable Root SSH") is here: https://www.readynas.com/?cat=36  You want the Sparc version. 

Without SSH, you can try deleting all your logs (DON'T attempt to download them).  However you can't tell if (a) you had the problem in the first place and (b) deleting the logs was enough to fix it.

Netgear can also diagnose/repair this remotely,

If you are using ReadyDLNA there is also an add-on that moves its database to the C volume.  That can be found here: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/4.1/Toggle_ReadyDLNA_CacheDir_1.0.bin  If you are using ReadyDLNA you should move the database.  The OS paritition on the NV+ is only 2 GB and it can fill up quickly.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please stick to one thread when posting about an issue that you have encountered.

An OS Re-install only solves a select set of problems and should only be considered when the NAS is able to boot successfully and your volume mount fine etc.

As you suspect there is the possibility of a full 2GB OS partition.

Message 2 of 7
msilverz
Aspirant

Sorry about the multiple posts. The problem evolved (from a seemingly dead NV+ to a rather more hopeful situation) following a second OS reinstall, which is why I posted the second message in a different thread. (When I thought the NV+ was just dead, I couldn't access Frontview at all. RAIDar wasn't even registering the NV+.)

Anyway, is there something I can do about the full 2GB OS partition (if that is indeed the problem)? I'd appreciate any help you can offer. 

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

A full OS partition is fairly easy to diagnose/fix if you have ssh enabled. The add-on to do that ("Enable Root SSH") is here: https://www.readynas.com/?cat=36  You want the Sparc version. 

Without SSH, you can try deleting all your logs (DON'T attempt to download them).  However you can't tell if (a) you had the problem in the first place and (b) deleting the logs was enough to fix it.

Netgear can also diagnose/repair this remotely,

If you are using ReadyDLNA there is also an add-on that moves its database to the C volume.  That can be found here: http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/4.1/Toggle_ReadyDLNA_CacheDir_1.0.bin  If you are using ReadyDLNA you should move the database.  The OS paritition on the NV+ is only 2 GB and it can fill up quickly.

Message 4 of 7
msilverz
Aspirant

Thankfully, mdgm was able to fix the problem remotely. (It was indeed a full OS partiion.) Everything is working beautifully again. Thanks for your suggestions, and thanks to mdgm for saving the day!

Matthew

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@msilverz wrote:

Thankfully, mdgm was able to fix the problem remotely. (It was indeed a full OS partiion.)

I love it when he does that. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
emmecibi
Aspirant

As this will occur again, could I suggest to enable root ssh and get ready to use it next time?

You can find command and log file to clear here in mdgm answer

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements