× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Scheduled Auto Power On

CovJonathan
Follower

Scheduled Auto Power On

Hi,

Ref: Ready Nas 202 with Firmware 6.10.2

Recently got some smart plugs (with voice activate) and want to just auto boot my NAS box but I can't get it to work.

I have to press the on button on the box. 

I looked in the admi settings, I tried adjesting the scheduled power settings event/state and didn't have any luck.

Any suggestions?

regards

Jonathan

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202 2-Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Scheduled Auto Power On

Let me see if I understand you correctly:  You want to be able to boot the NAS by commanding on the smart plug.  When that didn't work, you tried to see if setting auto power-on in the NAS would help.  You aren't actully trying to get them to work together some way, right?

First of all, there isn't consistancy across the ReadyNAS line as to what a NAS should do if power is interrupted and restored.  Some turn on, some don't, on some (like my 102), it seems random.  Whether it was on or off when power was removed doesn't seem to have any impact on which it does.  Your smart pplug is basically interrupting and restoring power.

I'm not sure how the ReadyNAS stores the data for when to do scheduled power on, but I suspsct it's maintained through the off period by the internal standby power, not the battery.  And that standby power is lost when power is to the power brick is turned off, but is not when the unit is simply turned off.  So removing power could cause it to not know to turn on when scheduled because the power loss lost the schedule.  The unit would have to turn on again to re-read the schedule from the OS..

Note, too, that power control is on's and off's.  Even if the NAS did remember the power-on schedule through a power interruption, it won't turn on at 1:05 when power is restored and it was due to turn on at 1:00.  It missed that scheduled event.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Scheduled Auto Power On

Let me see if I understand you correctly:  You want to be able to boot the NAS by commanding on the smart plug.  When that didn't work, you tried to see if setting auto power-on in the NAS would help.  You aren't actully trying to get them to work together some way, right?

First of all, there isn't consistancy across the ReadyNAS line as to what a NAS should do if power is interrupted and restored.  Some turn on, some don't, on some (like my 102), it seems random.  Whether it was on or off when power was removed doesn't seem to have any impact on which it does.  Your smart pplug is basically interrupting and restoring power.

I'm not sure how the ReadyNAS stores the data for when to do scheduled power on, but I suspsct it's maintained through the off period by the internal standby power, not the battery.  And that standby power is lost when power is to the power brick is turned off, but is not when the unit is simply turned off.  So removing power could cause it to not know to turn on when scheduled because the power loss lost the schedule.  The unit would have to turn on again to re-read the schedule from the OS..

Note, too, that power control is on's and off's.  Even if the NAS did remember the power-on schedule through a power interruption, it won't turn on at 1:05 when power is restored and it was due to turn on at 1:00.  It missed that scheduled event.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements