× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Scheduled backups problem

isis1
Aspirant

Scheduled backups problem

Hi everyone, i'm stuck with a problem from 2 weeks and i don't know how to solve it. i've already contacted the Netgear support, but they are too slow to understand what the real problem is, and, unfortunately, i'm in a hurry.

This is the general situation i'm working on:
- 2 Neatgear NAS: first is a ReadyNas 316, FW Version 6.1.2; second Nas is a ReadyNas Ultra 6
- First Nas runs Rsync Backups on the second Nas
- There are 7 Jobs: 3 are working correctly since the beginning, the remaing 4 jobs don't start automatically

All the connections work fine, the Rsync doesn't return any error (the proof is that if you start a job manually, it ends without problems or error)

I've tried rescheduling non-working jobs, deleting and doing them again, but nothing.
There's always something that goes wrong and block the start of a scheduled job.

i've read in this forum that sometimes, if you make a new job, you have to start it manually the first time, then it should start automatically at the right time.
i've tried with that, but nothing again.

can anyone help me with this problem?

Many Thanks
Dave
Message 1 of 7
vandermerwe
Master

Ok, you'll need to give us some mor information about the scheduling of the jobs.
Are the jobs scheduled to all run simultaneously?
Does the start time of the jobs that do not run coincide with a time when the NAS is on?
Why do you think something is blocking the start?
What is different about the jobs that don't run vs. the ones that do run?

You should not need to manually run a backup job in order for it to run on a schedule?
Message 2 of 7
isis1
Aspirant

the NAS is always on.
we've tried different configuration of scheduling, like scheduling all jobs at the same time or scheduling jobs to start all at different time.

what we need actually is to start 3 job at 4 am, all others jobs should start between 8 and 9 pm (simultaneously).
the stop time is set at 8 am (when people begin to work on data).

all Rsync backups are incremental and don't take more than 2 or 3 minutes to complete.
the only thing that could be a problem is that 2 jobs (Archivio and Lavori) take 7/8 hours to complete the first time, so every time i change configuration (or if i delete and recreate them) the jobs don't start incrementally and take too many hours, pushing all other jobs out of the stop time ("don't start after" time).

i think that something is blocking the start because jobs don't return me any error, they just don't start at all.

this is a screen of my config
Message 3 of 7
vandermerwe
Master

It's not accepting the time range extending past midnight.
Can you try changing the time range for the last 4 backups to a range that does not cross midnight.
I know this is a frustrating problem but I think it is the only way you'll get it to work.
You can schedule all backups at the same time, they'll just get queued.
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Vandermerwe is correct- the start/stop times are assumed to be the same day by the firmware. So the range is inconsistent (stopping before it starts).

Note the "stop" time isn't really when the backup stops, it is the end of the back-up start window. You could try simply setting the end time shortly before midnight.

If for some reason you need a broader range, you can cheat by setting the system to a different time zone.
Message 5 of 7
isis1
Aspirant

ok, i will try this trick.
if it works, i will let you know.
Thanks
Message 6 of 7
isis1
Aspirant

YEAH! it works!