× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set Default Gateway for ReadyNAS with the GUI

Digital999
Luminary

Set Default Gateway for ReadyNAS with the GUI

I have several ReadyNAS devices with most recent OS installed.

They have run well for more than a year.  But...

A recent change in the network necessiated that the Default Gateway for the device be changed to 192.168.0.234.  Apparently that setting then allows the ReadyNAS to send emails and other warnings. 

I cannot find the GUI place to change the Default Gateway from its former setting to the new setting.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Set Default Gateway for ReadyNAS with the GUI

If you have a static IP address set in the NAS (which @StephenB is recommending against precisely because chages like this don't happen automatically), then the gateway is set on the same page as the static IP.  If the address is fixed by virtue of reserving the IP address in the router (which is the recommended approach), then everything else is picked up from the router.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Digital999 wrote:

A recent change in the network necessiated that the Default Gateway for the device be changed to 192.168.0.234.  

I cannot find the GUI place to change the Default Gateway from its former setting to the new setting.

By default the NAS uses DHCP - which will pick this up automatically.  If you aren't doing that, then I suggest that you switch to it.  You can still get a persistent IP address for the NAS by reserving it in the router.

If for some reason you can't use DHCP, then you

1. open the NAS admin web ui
  2. click on network
  3. click on the settings wheel next to the ethernet adapter and select "settings"
  4. select ipv4

@Digital999 wrote:

Apparently that setting then allows the ReadyNAS to send emails and other warnings. 

What it does is allow the NAS to reach the internet.  That matters for NTP time sync, check for updates, use of ReadyCloud or Plex, etc.  Email alerts is only one of many things.  Have you ever configured the email alerts?

Message 2 of 5
Digital999
Luminary

Thank you for your reply.

I need more education.  All ReadyNAS devices have fixed IP addresses in their sub-domain.  Allows for easier management for us and the ability to have FTP services for cameras. 

The DHCP server is typically our exit router device and it is working well. 

If the ReadyNAS has a fixed IP address does it still check in with the DHCP server for other settings?

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

If you have a static IP address set in the NAS (which @StephenB is recommending against precisely because chages like this don't happen automatically), then the gateway is set on the same page as the static IP.  If the address is fixed by virtue of reserving the IP address in the router (which is the recommended approach), then everything else is picked up from the router.

Message 4 of 5
Digital999
Luminary

Thank you Sandshark. 

Too easy -- I was looking for some other area/method for the setting.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements