× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Set same username and group on filesystem for every access

augur
Guide

Set same username and group on filesystem for every access

Hi,

I own three ReadyOS6 NAS and use Resilio Sync App for synchronzing everything in between also via WAN. It works really fine but if I upload a file via ReadyCloud from my iPhone it is saved with ReadyCloud user and group as owner. With this Resilio Sync does not work anymore. It depends on "admin" as owner. To get it working again I have to reset the credentials but anyhow I ask me if I can avoid this that ReadyOS will use the user everytime.

At best it should looks like this:

totermw_7dSznWL6MG.png

Cheers,

Nils

Model: ReadyNAS-Ultra 6|ReadyNAS-Ultra 6
Message 1 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

In that case, Resilio Sync is broken.  In a multi-user environment, lots of files are going to be owned by lots of users.  And a ReadyNAS (and every other Linux system of which I am aware) will do that with local access, too.  Having all files owned by admin is just nuts.  Are you sure there isn't a setting in it you are missing or there isn't some other problem that admin ownership just happens to get around?

How did you insure you have the same users for all NAS?  If it was some method other than saving the user and group configuration on the "master" and restoring it on the others, that may be the problem.  The user to whom the file belongs doesn't exist (or has a different UID) on the other NAS.  Admin always exists and has the same UID.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@augur wrote:

if I upload a file via ReadyCloud from my iPhone it is saved with ReadyCloud user and group as owner. With this Resilio Sync does not work anymore. It depends on "admin" as owner.

Can you post a similar screenshot before you've changed the owner/permissions?  I'm wondering if this is a permissions issue.

FWIW, I use Rsync for NAS<->NAS backup, but I do have Resilio Sync running on a PC and use it to back up my iPhone photos.

Message 3 of 6
augur
Guide

I use it also to sync my Phone, Laptop and my NAS. NAS <-> NAS Backup is running RSync.

Resilio Sync has issues if the process user is not the same as the file owner. It could not change some fileproperties then which is necessary sometimes and then leads into sync issues. That is a known issue...

Normally I use Resilio Sync only but sometimes I like to access the files on the NAS directly e.g. from a laptop of my wife who has not every synced. After this I have issues mostly if I do not use the admin user for this. Also it is a private solution with 4 users. 🙂

I cannot show the file list before as I corrected it (set a default user via GUI) and then thought I should ask here.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@augur wrote:

Resilio Sync has issues if the process user is not the same as the file owner. It could not change some fileproperties then which is necessary sometimes and then leads into sync issues. T

Does this problem happen when the folder on the NAS has the file access set to allow everyone read/write access?

Have you also tried checking the "grant rename and delete privileges" box (ignoring the bit that talks about AFP/NFS)?

Message 5 of 6
augur
Guide

Yes, both does not help. I reset everytime to admin.

2F0E6930-ED67-4AA7-A61E-D3A8BAD990CD.png

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements