× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set up ReadyNAS Ultra 4 for secure access from WAN.

The_Garden_Snak
Aspirant

Set up ReadyNAS Ultra 4 for secure access from WAN.

Hello.

I want to access my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 from outside my LAN. What would you say is the most reliable, secure and user friendly way to do this?
I have tried the readynas remote and tried setting up the NAS as an FTP server.
I am not an expert in network settings, so i was not sure what was the most secure solution.
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Set up ReadyNAS Ultra 4 for secure access from WAN.

ReadyNAS Remote is a good option. Have you found it to be reliable enough for you?

FTP is a good alternative. FTP in itself though is not secure. It would be better to force the use of SFTP or FTPS.

Using SSH you could make this change:

# sed -i 's/TLSRequired .*/TLSRequired on/' /etc/frontview/proftpd/ftps.conf
# /etc/init.d/proftpd force-reload
Message 2 of 5
xeltros
Apprentice

There are several options.
I'd say the most secure would be L2TP/IPSec VPN but it's not user friendly at all.
Everything that uses SSL is good enough for most people. (SFTP/HTTPS...)
I don't know the underlying specs of readynas remote but it should be one of the easiest way and I believe it doesn't require to tweak the firewall.
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I agree that a VPN is the most secure. ReadyNAS remote is a VPN, but its performance is hit-or-miss (it depends on Netgear servers). Some routers have built-in VPNs. They can be hard to configure.

Personally I am using FTPS.

Note that FTPS is built into the ultra's FTP server. You can't force its use from the admin Web UI, but you can set up all your FTP clients to use it, which has the same effect. Or use mdgm's mod from ssh. With FTPS, you need to use "explicit" TLS in the clients.

SFTP is not built in, so you probably should forget about that.
Message 4 of 5
mangrove
Apprentice

You could use Zebedee.
http://www.magnuswedberg.com/index.php? ... _%28x86%29
It's also completely possible to set up an OpenVPN server on OS4 on an Ultra6, but it's a little more complicated.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements