× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting FROM on Alert Email Settings

btaroli
Prodigy

Setting FROM on Alert Email Settings

Ran into a peculiar behavior when setting up a new NAS build today. I configured alert settings and wanted to use a different FROM than the email address used for login to the SMTP server. I set it and did a test, and it worked great. But when I went back into the page later I saw that the addresses were the same again!

I did poke into /etc/msmtprc and notice that although the WEB displayed the addresses as the same, the FILE says the from is still set as I originally requested. Bug? I guess as long as I don't actually make any changes to the settings, so the file is overwritten, then it's OK? But it would be nice if the web UI wasn't playing games.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you clear your web browser cache, close your web browser and reopen the web admin interface does it still display incorrectly?

Message 2 of 11
btaroli
Prodigy

Yes, it does continue to display incorrectly. In FF, Chrome, and Safari. Confirm that the /etc/msmtprc file has different values for "user" and "from".

Message 3 of 11
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi btaroli,

Would you be able to send the logs. I will check if we can have it checked further.

How do I send all logs to ReadyNAS Community moderators?

Regards,

Message 4 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi btaroli,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 11
btaroli
Prodigy

@JennC wrote:

... We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Mmm... which information? 🙂 I have been a bit busy the past few days and haven't submitted logs yet. I'll gather them shortly.

Message 6 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Also ReadyNAS OS 6.6.1 is now available!

You may wish to confirm that you still see the issue on that as well.

Message 7 of 11
btaroli
Prodigy

@FramerV wrote:

Would you be able to send the logs. I will check if we can have it checked further.

Just emailed them. Sorry for the delay.

Message 8 of 11
btaroli
Prodigy

@mdgm wrote:

Also ReadyNAS OS 6.6.1 is now available!

You may wish to confirm that you still see the issue on that as well.

It's in the process of applying now, and I'll check on the results later. Thanks!

Message 9 of 11
btaroli
Prodigy

Now that I'm up on 6.6.1, yes, this problem still persists.

In the web UI, I see the "User" and "From" as user1@domain.com

In /etc/msmtprc, I see:

from user2@domain.com
user user1@domain.com

And in the messages it sends, the sender is user2@domain.com

Message 10 of 11
Vipertje
Initiate

I have also the same problem and here with 6.6.1 its also not fixed! Hoping to see a fix for it, aldo its just a minor bug, its an anouying one for me! ^_^

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements