× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting Up a VPN

therealnips
Aspirant

Setting Up a VPN

Im trying to set up a VPN on the readyNAS. Its connected straight to the router and ideally I would like only the NAS to use the VPN and hide its IP address, the rest of the network can just connect to my ISP as normal. I downloaded poussin openVPN and the software is installed on my PC, but Im not very techically minded and im struggling to get it to work.

Can anyone link me to a guide or something?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
chsu83
Luminary

Betreff: Setting Up a VPN

Here's a OPENVPN

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=76015.0

Normally every VPN Service has its on documents.. but there very similar, because they often use OpenVPN (hopefully).

But you have to know from where to where you have to route.So default route would then go to OpenVPN, but you have to route the LAN traffic over the LAN interface (hopefully you have only one network).

There to stages:

- Up & running VPN

- Configure traffic flow correctly.

I'm not shure how its done with the OpenVPN, but please be shure to have at least 1 device in the same subnet as your readynas is, if something is changing your default route before manually defining it.

If you got a chance to enable it on your router / firewall from ISP, I would do it there.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
chsu83
Luminary

Here's a OPENVPN

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=76015.0

Normally every VPN Service has its on documents.. but there very similar, because they often use OpenVPN (hopefully).

But you have to know from where to where you have to route.So default route would then go to OpenVPN, but you have to route the LAN traffic over the LAN interface (hopefully you have only one network).

There to stages:

- Up & running VPN

- Configure traffic flow correctly.

I'm not shure how its done with the OpenVPN, but please be shure to have at least 1 device in the same subnet as your readynas is, if something is changing your default route before manually defining it.

If you got a chance to enable it on your router / firewall from ISP, I would do it there.

Message 2 of 4
therealnips
Aspirant

Thank you so much!

After reading your post and link, after making use of torguards customer support and spending 20 hours googling linux commands (im ok with CMD, but linux was like learning how to use a pc again) I have it working! 

The nas connects everytime automatically, and re-dials if it even looses connection, all the other computers on the network use the normall ISP and can still connect to the NAS as normal 😄

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

If you took good enough notes, perhaps you could write a short "how to" for other trying to follow in your footsteps.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements