× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up BubbleUPnP server on ReadyNAS OS6

el_patron
Tutor

Setting up BubbleUPnP server on ReadyNAS OS6

I just wanted to share with you how I successfully installed ab BubbleUPnP server on my RN314:

I followed each step and it worked right away!

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 11
el_patron
Tutor

Betreff: Setting up BubbleUPnP server on ReadyNAS OS6

I don't know why it happened, but please can one of the admins change the title FTP to BubbleUPnP... Thanks

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@el_patron wrote:

please can one of the admins change the title FTP to BubbleUPnP... Thanks

Done.

I do want to give three general cautions on installing packages with ssh.  One is that you shouldn't do an apt-get upgrade.

The second is that the NAS has a very small OS partition (4 GB) - more than enough for linux and the ReadyNAS application, but not enough for lots of packages to be added on top of that.  If the OS partition fills, the NAS can become unstable, and configuration files can be damaged.

You want to be particularly careful with applications that have large databases or which do a lot of logging.  One simple approach is to move the installed folders to the data volume, and replacing them with soft links.

The third is sometimes user-installed packages aren't compatible with future firmware updates. 

Note that you should never trust your data to a single device (RAID isn't enough to protect it). 

Message 3 of 11
el_patron
Tutor

reagrding the first point with the apt-get upgrade: can it be reversed by OS reinstall or what would be the proper way..?

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I don't know if an OS reinstall would fix it or not - hopefully @mdgm-ntgr or another mod will chime in on that.  Of course a factory reset would resolve it.

If you've done it and aren't seeing any issues, then I suggest leaving well enough alone.

Message 5 of 11
el_patron
Tutor

I tried OS reinstall, but it didn't recover to the state before installing the packages.

Is there a way to make a backup copy of the OS to recover from..? I just made a factory reset and copied back the data files, and it would be nice to have also the possibility to recover the operating system on the disk with that status.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

There is no supported way to back up and restore the OS.  You could try to do that on your own with rsync - as long as you have a backup of your data just in case.  I suggest remounting the OS partition in /mnt first (mount /dev/md0 /mnt) - there are several folders that are only used as mount points, and the /mnt approach will keep them from getting in the way.  Depending on what goes wrong, you might need to restore from tech support mode, so make sure you know how to use that (and how to mount the OS partition from there).

Another suggestion is to test your package installs on a ReadyNAS VM before applying them to the real NAS.

Message 7 of 11
el_patron
Tutor

Thanks for your hints. I can follow that path and allready did it with cloning ubuntu PC's, but there I put the disc out on my desk and connect it to another PC. How can I do this on a readynas? if the system is up and running, the root partition is in use and I would not dare to write on it...? If this is the maintenace mode, any hints how to get there and achieve that..?

Getting the disc out with RAID file system will not work I guess...

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@el_patron wrote:

if the system is up and running, the root partition is in use and I would not dare to write on it...?

You'd boot up in tech support mode, and access the NAS with telnet.  The username is root; the password is infr8ntdebug

You can then enter

# start_raids

and mount /dev/md0 to /mnt.

None of this is supported (as you likely already know)

Message 9 of 11
el_patron
Tutor

ok, thats a little bit too much risky, just for backing up a configuration thats currently running flawless, and can be retrieved by factory reset...

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@el_patron wrote:

can be retrieved by factory reset...

The current configuration can't be retrieved by a factory reset - a reset is a completely new install.  The disks are reformatted, a new copy of the OS is installed, and that has the default configuration.

I agree that the restore is potentailly risky, but I don't see a safer way to do what you originally asked.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements