× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up Email alerts (RN10200)

rrosko
Aspirant

Setting up Email alerts (RN10200)

I'm trying to get email notifications for the ReadyNAS setup and I've scoured the Netgear site and the internet the past few days looking for documentation that actually works, but to no avail.

Using these devices for over 20 of our remote offices and I can't get these email notifications to work at all, whether it's to our internal email servers, or to a brand new Gmail account with "less secure devices" enabled.

RN10200 running 6.4.1

What's the secret, what's the trick - I'm pulling my hair out here

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@rrosko wrote:

I'm trying to get email notifications for the ReadyNAS setup and I've scoured the Netgear site and the internet the past few days looking for documentation that actually works, but to no avail.

Using these devices for over 20 of our remote offices and I can't get these email notifications to work at all, whether it's to our internal email servers, or to a brand new Gmail account with "less secure devices" enabled.

RN10200 running 6.4.1

What's the secret, what's the trick - I'm pulling my hair out here

With gmail, you need to turn off two-factor authentication as well as enable "less secure devices".

The smtp is smtp.gmail.com, the port is 587, and check "use TLS". Set the "from" address to the google email account (x@gmail.com).

It might take a little while for google to propagate the account settings on their end.

Message 2 of 13
rrosko
Aspirant

Yep, those are the exact values I've been using and they haven't worked. Toggled off TLS, and tried port 465 as well. No luck

Two factor authentication is disabled by default and the less secure devices is as well and I've only enabled the latter

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

If you just enabled "less secure apps" you might need to wait a while for google to propagate it to all their servers.

Message 4 of 13
rrosko
Aspirant

I enabled "less secure devices" about 3 days ago, and I assume the expected "propagation" timeframe is similar to DNS record changes which would be around 48 hours.

Message 5 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@rrosko wrote:

I enabled "less secure devices" about 3 days ago, and I assume the expected "propagation" timeframe is similar to DNS record changes which would be around 48 hours.

I agree it should have happened by now.

Not sure if this matters or no - in my case I am sending the email to the same gmail account.  Might be worth seeing if it works if you do that.

Message 6 of 13
rrosko
Aspirant

Update - So, as I mentioned - I have 20+ ReadyNAS RN10200 devices in the field and I've noticed something odd. Updated all firmware on these devices to 6.4.2 and yet there is a difference in the GUI between some devices(note the attached screenshots)

In this first image, this is the only device(6.4.2) out of 20+ where the layout of the ALERTS page differs from the others, and yet I can successfully setup & receive notifications only on this one.

nas-L35.jpg

On this second image, with all the other 20+ devices I have, all on 6.4.2 - the ALERTS page layout looks like this and I'm unable to get any email alerts to function. All the information is identical to the first device. In this image, the green check apparently signifies the alerts are setup properly, but an error is still generated when tested and no email is sent, nor received.

nas-L152.jpg

The devices appear to be operating normally in terms of basic data storage and running the scheduled tasks I have setup, but this is definitely quirky and a pain in the ass. Ultimately, leaves me with a bad impression having put hours into already just trying to get basic functions like alerts to work properly.

Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well the first of those two screenshots shows the layout that you should see with 6.4.2 installed.

Can you send me a fresh set of logs to see if you still get the same error?

Also can you clear your web browser cache, close your web browser and reopen the web admin interface?

Message 8 of 13
rrosko
Aspirant

Just sent logs

Unfortunately, clearing the cache made no difference

Message 9 of 13
StephenB
Guru

With 6.5.0-T338, the email password isn't shown on the admin UI, and it needs to be re-entered to send a test message.

But email alerts do work properly (also with gmail).

Message 10 of 13
rrosko
Aspirant

Agreed - that's just common sense. The correct password was entered prior to sending out any and all test messages.

In the logs I sent you, the most recent test error was with the password as well and still no messages are sent via gmail with 20+ devices as stated in my updated post

Message 11 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your logs are showing the error "cannot locate host smtp.gmail.com: Name or service not known". Perhaps try adding Google DNS (8.8.8.8) to the DNS Server Address list on the NAS.

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

Your logs are showing the error "cannot locate host smtp.gmail.com: Name or service not known". Perhaps try adding Google DNS (8.8.8.8) to the DNS Server Address list on the NAS.

If you've assigned a static IP, perhaos you should also check the subnet mask and gateway address.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements