× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up NAS unit

claytonb
Aspirant

Setting up NAS unit

Hi, I am buying a RN10400 NAS unit and 2x4TB Hard drives, I would like to set it up with 2x drives in Raid and add a 4TB drive when needed how would I do this?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Setting up NAS unit

@claytonb wrote:

ok thanks, I thought I could add extra drives to the xraid later? so I would need to create a Raid 1 on the 2 drives first giving me 4TB and adding the other later as jbod then adding the last drive later as jbod would give me a raid 1 4TB and 2x 4TB jbod?

Maybe you clarify what RAID configuration you want when you are done.

With XRAID, you simply hot-insert additional 4 TB drives when you want to grow the array.

2x4 TB initially gives you 4 TB RAID-1

adding drive 3 grows the array to 8 TB RAID-5

adding drive 4 grows the array to 12 TB RAID-5.

If you want something else, you'd need to use flexraid.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
cpu8088
Virtuoso

you need to disable x-raid and then create a new volume with the 2 x 4tb drives in raid 0 or raid 1, led the resync going and then u put in the new 4tb drive and create a new volume which if no raid u can only choose jbod.

Message 2 of 7
claytonb
Aspirant

ok thanks, I thought I could add extra drives to the xraid later? so I would need to create a Raid 1 on the 2 drives first giving me 4TB and adding the other later as jbod then adding the last drive later as jbod would give me a raid 1 4TB and 2x 4TB jbod?

Message 3 of 7
cpu8088
Virtuoso

thats an alternative

if all 3 are 4tb then u dont have to do anything. when first 2 x are inserted x-raid will automatically config as raid 1. when u hot insert the 3rd 4tb x-raid will automatically config to raid 5. if you insert the 4th 4tb x-raid will auto expand to raid 5 with 4 disks.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@claytonb wrote:

Maybe you clarify what RAID configuration you want when you are done.

With XRAID, you simply hot-insert additional 4 TB drives when you want to grow the array.

2x4 TB initially gives you 4 TB RAID-1

adding drive 3 grows the array to 8 TB RAID-5

adding drive 4 grows the array to 12 TB RAID-5.

If you want something else, you'd need to use flexraid.  

Message 5 of 7
claytonb
Aspirant

No, this is excally what I want to do, thanks for the info guys

Message 6 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi claytonb,

If all your questions were answered. Tag this thread as resolved by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button in one of the responses that you received. 

For more information about the difference between X-RAID and Flex-RAID, check the links below:

Flex-RAID and how does it work with ReadyNAS OS 6 system

X-RAID and how does it work with ReadyNAS OS 6 system

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements