× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up email alert with GMAIL account - solution without changing security settings

ReneB
Follower

Setting up email alert with GMAIL account - solution without changing security settings

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here - I probably should make my first posting in the "Welcome" section, but I just stumbled across a solution for the gmail authentication error that several posters have had (and solutions) and wanted to relay my own experience with this same problem before I forget how I did it -- remember, I am not a computer pro.

First - the problem I was having was that in setting up the email alert on my NAS, when I got to the "Send a Test Message" step I always got an error message complaining about an authentication error.   NAS Details, running 6.6.0 > 6.6.1 just before finding the solution, but I don't think it was a factor at all.

I searched on here and found the solutions of:

1. verifying that the DNS settings were correct 
  2. adjusting the security settings in Google, namely, turn off two factor authentication & enable "less secure apps"

(examples of these solutions are here and at this location too)

I was a bit uncomfortable with changing the settings for this google account, yet it was a very convenient account for me to use, so I wanted to poke around a bit and see if I could get it to work without enabling the less secure applications.

What I ended up finding as a working solution for me was this:

I went to https://myaccount.google.com/security?pli=1 and then went to App Passwords.

I found that App Passwords would work for me by, as Google explains: 

"App passwords allow 2-Step Verification users to access their Google Accounts through apps such as Mail on an iPhone or Mac, or Outlook. We'll generate the app passwords for you, and you won't need to remember them."

In effect, deploying an App Password generates a string of characters and spaces that is only good for one use (multiple occasions, but just ONE device).

A much more in-depth explanation gives the nitty-gritty details at this page about Sign in Using App Passwords

I hope this isn't repeating something that has already been discussed!  I searched the forum for a while tonight and didn't see anything like this, so I hope this is of some use to folks.

Cheers!

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 3
btaroli
Prodigy

Re: Setting up email alert with GMAIL account - solution without changing security settings

Yes, that's a good thing to capture. Basically, any application that can't utilize 2FA requires a simple-password workaround. In Google's case they call this "app passwords", but other 2FA setups call it something similar.

Message 2 of 3
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Setting up email alert with GMAIL account - solution without changing security settings

Hello ReneB,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the ReadyNAS email alert settings. This will surely help others in the community.

Welcome to the community and we greatly appreciate your contribution!

Regards,

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements