× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setup wizard will not start after USB recovered 6.6 on Readynas Pro Pioneer

peet1
Guide

Setup wizard will not start after USB recovered 6.6 on Readynas Pro Pioneer

I upgraded My Pro Pioneer to 6.6. It was working well but in an un-related screw up on my part it was acting up, so I used a USB recovery tool to lay down a fresh 6.6.  I've done the same thing several times before with no issues on Pro 6 hardware.  

However, afer I log in on https://NASIP/admin/wizard.html, I get an "Error Reporter, Communication Error" with a details button that only reviles "Communication Error" and the time.  

Not sure where to go with this. I took a peek at the logs and just don't se anything odd.

Any ideas?

Thanks.com

Model: ReadyNASRNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
peet1
Guide

Re: Setup wizard will not start after USB recovered 6.6 on Readynas Pro Pioneer

I'm wondering if the issue is the serial number issue that's mentioned here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/6-5-RC-on-Pioneer-Pro/m-p/1082239#U1082239.

From my boot_info.log:

cause: normal
vendor: ‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1aa
model: ‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1aa
model_valid: 1
version: 6
serial: ‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1aa
loader: ‡πS1a‡πS1a‡πS1aa

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should only do USB Boot Recovery if there is a problem on the internal flash. Usually USB Boot Recovery is done when it isn't needed.

Message 3 of 5
peet1
Guide

That makes sense.

Yeah, I won't lie, USB recovery is a lazy way for me to get the result that I want.  

However, I don't necesarily think my current issue is caused by the recovery.  My first recovery was from the internal flash and I ran ito the same issue.

Cheers.Peet

Message 4 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It may/may not have been the case here but often when USB Boot Recovery there is a problem with something on the disks e.g. the OS partition and nothing wrong at all with the firmware on the internal flash. USB Boot Recovery's sole purposes is to wipe the flash, format it and put a clean copy of the firmware on it.

If the problem is not with the internal flash then you risk creating an additional problem without fixing any.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements