× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setup

StructaLLP
Aspirant

Setup

I am trying to achieve the following setup but I am not sure wether or not it is possible:
Create an iSCSI target to connect my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 to a server, but I want to use the ReadyNAS to copy from certain shares on to the the iSCSI volume whereas I can use backup exec on the server reading directly from the ReadyNAS via iSCSI.

I am welcome to any simpler ideas as I imagine there are many out there.
Message 1 of 6
Mace_Windoo
Aspirant

Are you just trying to create backups of existing share on a server to the ReadyNAS?
Message 2 of 6
StructaLLP
Aspirant

I am trying to use symantec backup exec (on a server) to back up the data that is already on the ReadyNAS, ideally to read directly from it. Which is why i thought iSCSI might work.
Message 3 of 6
Mace_Windoo
Aspirant

Unfortunately the Ultra 4 does not support iSCSI. There is a RALUS agent that you can download from ReadyNAS.com that can be used with certain version of Symantec BE to remotely backup files from ReadyNAS
Message 4 of 6
StructaLLP
Aspirant

Apologies we have the ReadyNAS Pro 4 which does support iSCSI, I managed to setup a iSCSI target and made it visible to our server but the ReadyNAS doesnt seem to allow me to backup a share to the iSCSI volume.

The reason I am trying this approach was because we didn't have much luck trying the remote agent add-on but I guess I may have to try again if this current option will not work.
Message 5 of 6
Mace_Windoo
Aspirant

You will not be able to transfer NAS (share) data over iSCSI. NAS ans SAN protocols are incompatible as one is Files based and the other block based.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements