× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Share Disappeared

jc2010
Aspirant

Share Disappeared

I've recently noticed that one of my shares has disappeared from Frontview. However, when I view my ReadyNAS from my PC filesystem, while it isn't listed as one of the shares, there is another share called "data"; when I open that folder, I see my missing share - including all of its contents. Any ideas how to restore this folder to its full share status, and have it show up in Frontview?

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Share Disappeared

@jc2010 wrote:

there is another share called "data"; when I open that folder, I see my missing share - including all of its contents. 

This is the full NAS data volume.  The good news is that your data is still there.  Though somewhat off-topic, RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe - if you don't have a backup plan for your NAS, I suggest that you consider putting one in place.  It would be prudent to do that now (before you write more data to the NAS or move files around).

@jc2010 wrote:

I've recently noticed that one of my shares has disappeared from Frontview. However, when I view my ReadyNAS from my PC filesystem, while it isn't listed as one of the shares, there is another share called "data"; when I open that folder, I see my missing share - including all of its contents. Any ideas how to restore this folder to its full share status, and have it show up in Frontview?

Well, it would be good to sort out what happened.  Perhaps @JohnCM_S can see if Netgear engineering wants to take a look.

But one way to fix this is to rename the folder, then create a new share from the Web UI.  Then move the files from the renamed folder into the share.

You'll find that you won't be able to delete the old share from the PC (and the snapshots will still be there also, though you won't see them).  Both the old share and it's snapshots can be removed using ssh if you know how.  

Another way to resolve this is to back up the NAS, do a factory reset, rebuild it, and restore all the data from the backup.  Though it's a lot more work, it gives you a completely clean system - which you don't have now.  And as noted above, if the NAS is used for primary storage it does need to be backed up.

Message 2 of 3
jc2010
Aspirant

Re: Share Disappeared

Thanks for the advice. I'll try renaming the folder and creating a new share. I'll let you know how it goes. And yes, I have a backup plan - I replicate to another ReadyNAS314 at my mother-in-law's house.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements