× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Share access based on IP address

jardako
Aspirant

Share access based on IP address

Hi,

my NAS has two ethernet adapters. It is possible to define access to a specific share based on the adapter / IP address? I would like to create two VLANs and have some shares accessible only from a specific VLAN.

Thanks!

Model: RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Share access based on IP address

@Sandshark wrote:

I've never used it, but I think you should be able to do that under the HOSTS options in SMB for the share (and NFS, if you use that).

I haven't used it either, but HOSTS should let you limit access to a specific subnet (or specific list of client IP addresses).

So as long as the two VLANS carry traffic on different subnets (as they normally would), this ought to work.  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

I've never used it, but I think you should be able to do that under the HOSTS options in SMB for the share (and NFS, if you use that).

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I haven't used it either, but HOSTS should let you limit access to a specific subnet (or specific list of client IP addresses).

So as long as the two VLANS carry traffic on different subnets (as they normally would), this ought to work.  

Message 3 of 5
jardako
Aspirant

Thank you. That makes sense.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@jardako wrote:

Thank you. That makes sense.

There is a related conversation of the proper format for a subnet specification.  That is specific to NFS, but likely applies to SMB too.  The answer could possibly be different for OS-6 than it is for 4.2.x firmware.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-RN212-Alerts-Email-NFS-and...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements