× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Share folder in W10

fred256
Aspirant

Share folder in W10

I've been using RN212 (OS6) as home NAS since 2018 without any problems.  I keep my personal/project files on the NAS.   Since the data on the NAS is critical to me and because NTGR is no longer supporting the RN212, I thought it time to move to a more current NAS.   I bought a Synology DR220+.   I have a question regarding why the RN212 and DR220+ handle share folders differently in W10.   I hope someone can explain.   I've got W10 file sharing enabled.

RN212, after setting up the NAS and share folders, both are visible in W10 explorer.  I'm able to create a simple shortcut for either the NAS or share on my W10 desktop.  Drag and drop to the shortcut.  Easy.   I've been using a static IP on this NAS.

DR220+, after setting up the NAS and a test share folder, I can see the NAS in W10 explorer, but not the share folder.   I have to map the share folder to a W10 drive number, enter login acct name and pwd.   I looked through RN OS6 SW manual regarding sharing folders in W10.  I see nothing about mapping the share to a W10 drive number.   Why the difference between the two system?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Share folder in W10

@fred256 wrote:

Can you tell me the benefit of mapping the share folder to a w10 drive number?   Why would I want drive mapping instead of using a shortcut to the share?

There are a couple of windows applications out there that can handle a mapped drive, but not a network share.  But most will work w/o mapping the drive, and it will be quite clear if they don't.  I suggest not mapping it, unless you run into one of those applications.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you enter \\nas-ip-address in the explorer address bar (using the actual IP address of the synology), do you see the shares?  Be careful to use the correct slash direction.

Also try launching CMD, and then enter net view nas-ip-address That should also show you the shares on the synology.

Message 2 of 4
fred256
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.   Your suggestions all work.

I can see the DS220+ and the share folder in w10 explorer.  I can create a shortcut from the share folder to my desktop.  That's what I must have done when I set up RN212 back in 2018.  Can you tell me the benefit of mapping the share folder to a w10 drive number?   Why would I want drive mapping instead of using a shortcut to the share?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@fred256 wrote:

Can you tell me the benefit of mapping the share folder to a w10 drive number?   Why would I want drive mapping instead of using a shortcut to the share?

There are a couple of windows applications out there that can handle a mapped drive, but not a network share.  But most will work w/o mapping the drive, and it will be quite clear if they don't.  I suggest not mapping it, unless you run into one of those applications.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements