× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Share permissions lost

alanmjackson
Aspirant

Share permissions lost

Hi,
This seems to be a common theme, but the answers provided so far don't seem to help...
I shut down my NAS box over the weekend as we were away and knew here were power works going on locally.
Before I shut down the box, I could access files on my shares; now I can't!
Whichever share I try and access, I get prompted for user name & password (previously didn't need to specify). Specifying anything will fail in the authentication (I don't actually have any users set up!)

I'm using Windows XP and trying to connect to any of my mapped drives fails prompting for username/password
Trying to connect to the shares directly - the same
Trying to browse the NAS Box - the same.

I can connect using RAIDar and manage the box through the Web-based UI - so I know the box is working; I just can't access any of the shares.

How do I get access to the shares again?
There must be a simple means to do this, all I want is to allow everyone read/write access to all files. Is that too much to ask?

The logs indicate no problems at all an there is plenty of space on the drive
Message 1 of 3
alanmjackson
Aspirant

Re: Share permissions lost

Okay, this is driving me nuts...
I can access the NAS box from from Front View and see all the shares. My shares are set for CIFS with default access of Read/Write and allow guest access. No other restrictions are set.
I've restarted all the machines and run the checks on the NAS when that started also.
I can see there are printers (from Windows) but printing to them adds the print job to the queue from the client perspective. According to FrontView, there is nothing in the queue.
I've re-installed 4.1.7 - but that hasn't helped.

Using Windows Explorer, if I browse to \\NAS-Box - I get prompted for credentials - but none work (I don't have any users set up, using NAS-Box\Admin and password does't allow me in.

What else can I do to get at the files stored on my NAS?

Any suggestions anyone?
Message 2 of 3
rdaems
Aspirant

Re: Share permissions lost

Hello,

Did you try to map with the admin account (see http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55294)
If this is working, then you're positive that the shares are working, only the access rights to the other users are wrong.

Since you rebooted you're machines, the cached credentials are gone so that's why it asks to enter the credentials again. However, since the guest login is enabled, it normally should grant you access without asking the credentials.

So, I think you've to check the credentials of the users on your NAS.

PS: I did have this problem also one time, and the solution was rebooting my NAS, since I was sure of my credentials of my users.

BR, Rob
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements