× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Share wierdness with share named data

rgm60527
Aspirant

Share wierdness with share named data

I am moving from a ultra plus (or at least I was) and I had three shares backup, data and media. In the ReadyNAS 312 running 6.1.5 when I create the shares that I want all seems well. Well that is until you access the share data via Windows 7 Explorer and then all of the other shares list as folders within the share data including the bonus folder Home - despite Home share being disabled. Windows 8.1 seems to display them all ok meaning the bonus folders don't display again nested in the share data - neither does the home folder.

Gotta say pretty disappointed with all of the bugs and stuff I have encountered - incompatibility with IE11 and Chrome. weirdness with not being able to delete shares and other unexpected errors when trying to disable snapshots, change to permissions etc.

Just today I have performed a factory default 3 time to "cure" share weirdness and am really concerned about migrating the Ultra. Nothing like throwing about 700+ bucks at Netgear for a ReadyNAS 312 and a couple of Western Digital RE drives to build a new, faster and better environment that I now don't trust... So I limp along with my warranted (just got it back today) ReadyNAS Ultra - it died when performing a firmware update a week ago and turned into a brick and so I thought it would be a good idea to move up to the Readynas 312. How wrong I am/was and now I have a fancy brand new environment that is shakey to say the least. 😞
Message 1 of 11
beisser1
Aspirant

hello rgm60527,

i think the primary issue here is that the share is named data, which is the same as the default name for the volume.

when you access \\ip-address\data you would normally get the root folder of the data volume. at the same time you would normally get the data share when you browse to that location.
this created a conflict which causes weird behaviour. we need to prevent this in the future.
in the meantime you can work around this by renaming you data share to something else.
that should make it go away.

can you try that?
Message 2 of 11
rgm60527
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. Deleting the share Data is sort of a solution, while itself being a kludge as any organization for the NAS goes out the window. further thoughts about adopting this suggestion as a solution that come to mind are:

1. it makes me change from long held procedure which was never a problem with my ReadyNAS Duo and Ultra Plus until someone made an arbitrary decision to suddenly start giving the volume a default name.

2. While your suggestion does work, I now have to deal with structure and procedure changes that ripples throughout from re-educating users to modifying scripts for backups and shortcuts.

3. I had raised this conflict with Netgear support yesterday when I was experiencing all sorts of bizarreo-land behavior with being unable to change or delete (other than Data)some share properties ranging from unknown user to invalid groups manifesting itself when trying to alter snapshot, deleting the share or other actions and the agent had NO concerns...

4. As you say the arbitrary decision to suddenly start providing a label for the volume that now conflicts with a share name - someone, somewhere should have had the bright idea to prevent the share name from conflicting! However and personally I don't think changing the name of boat in the middle of the ocean is anywhere close to reasonable action especially when considering installed bases practice. At the very least the owner should have the option of choosing the name of the volume , not some developer in some far away place...

5. Still leaves me with unstable behavior with the other shares and doesn't address the Windows 7 versus Windows 8 with the home share... Especially since in the NAs the home share is deactivated.
Message 3 of 11
beisser1
Aspirant

this was just a test.

another workaround would be to delete the volume on the new nas and create a new volume with a different name (data is just the default name used for the first volume).
if you create a new volume you can use whatever name you like and keep using a share named data.

this wouldnt have happened if there was a mechanism telling you that you cannot use a share with the same name as the volume.
unfortunately this is not the case and you should inform support, so that they can open a feature request for this.

you would get the exact same type of issues if you had a share named "c" on the older readynas models since the default volumename there is "c".

so for you as a short term solution use any of the provided workarounds and as a long-term solution please contact support and have them add a feature request to put in a mechanism that prevents that kind of thing in a future firmware.
Message 4 of 11
rgm60527
Aspirant

Since I am intellectually equivalent to an amoeba, I don't know how to create a new volume! This sad state of my ability centers around the fact that I have single X-RAID volume and the NAS's admin web page provides no discernible method to delete / destroy the exiting volume. The delete button is not active. So while this might be a solution , apparently I find myself poorly equipped to take advantage of said option.

Certainly agree with you about the restriction preventing a name conflict so long as the USER can establish the names of volumes and shares.
Message 5 of 11
rgm60527
Aspirant

I might be evolving... Discovered if I switch from x-raid it allows me to delete volume.
Message 6 of 11
rgm60527
Aspirant

I was successful in deleting/recreating the volume. Established my shares and now we circle back to the other problems + 1:

The home share still displays in Win 7 Explorer.

The new volume now appears as a share (Win 7) and it then lists all of the share names. This this behavior really isn't any different that in my legacy NAS so I suppose it isn't an issue but it would be nice to hide these.
Message 7 of 11
beisser1
Aspirant

the home folder will always show if they are enabled. you can disable them in the settings under system, settings and then turn home folder off.
they should disappear then.

its normal that it shows all shares if you go to \\ip-address\ without any sharename. thats the designed behaviour.
that currently cannot be changed.
Message 8 of 11
rgm60527
Aspirant

You will note that in my original post that I identified that HOME SHARES ARE DISABLED, yet they still appear in Win7 Explorer.
Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Were they always disabled? If not, maybe try enabling them, and then disabling them again.
Message 10 of 11
rgm60527
Aspirant

To the question always enabled, it would seem the wizard enables them by default, I always disabled them during the wizard. I had tried the aforementioned home share on and off game without successe but when a reboot of the client is thrown in the result is pleasing as I no longer have the home share or the nuisance default volume from displaying. So we're all good at this moment in time. Thanks
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements