× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Shares no longer accessible

Dinobe
Aspirant

Shares no longer accessible

Since last week I have some issues with my Readynas 6000 (RNDU6000). My shares are no longer visible nor accessible on my windows 7 and 10 clients.

This system has been running with 3 Western Digital 2TB Red hard disks for years and I have never had any issues.

I have tested and tried various things, but I can't pinpoint the exact cause of my problems.

(I have the admin pages running in Dutch, so I'm not 100% sure about the correct translations of various error messages, please excuse me).

The problem started last week, my shares were no longer visible nor accessible from my windows clients.

I suspected the CIFS service being faulty, as everything else (ssh, adminconsole, ... ) worked properly. I logged into the admin page and unchecked the CIFS protocol and rebooted the NAS.
After rebooting, I wanted to enable the CIFS protocol again, but I'm unable to save the changes. I check the checkbox for the CIFS protocol and click the button save, but on refresh of the page, my changes are not being saved.

I suspected compatibility issues with the admin pages, so I tried various browsers to enable the CIFS service, including Firefox v41, Internet explorer v11, chrome v46 and this on 2 different computers running windows 10 and windows 7.

I tried to verify if the shares still existed so I consulted the shares page: https://192.168.1.2/shares (192.168.1.2 being to ip address ). I get the warning "No shares available at the moment"

I tried logging in on the admin pages and consulting the volume and shares, I get the warning "XRAID 2, 3 disks, unusable" (not sure about the exact translation)

After refreshing the browser a couple of times, I get RAID-level X-RAID2, 3 disks, status: redundant

After logging in/out of the admin pages and changing the  browser couple of times I get a "System error, please contact customer service"

Using Raidar, it shows my 3 disks being healthy.

I no longer have access the NAS via putty (ssh).

What can I do to pinpoint the cause of this problem?

- Can I safely remove the disk one by one and test them with Western Digital Diagnostic tools on a windows client?
- Why I is the volume not available? I thought X-RAID was supposed to be redundant? Nothing is accessible right now

- I didn't get any warning that the disks were failing
- 3 disks chrashed a the same time seems very unlikely
- why can't I access my NAS using putty (ssh) while the admin pages seem to work?
- Are the disks at fault or is something else going on?

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Shares no longer accessible

Are you running crashplan on the NAS?

Message 2 of 7
Dinobe
Aspirant

Hi yes, I'm running Crashplan on the NAS. I read in another topic that Crashplan logging might fill the OS partition and block stuff.....

I'll have a look into that.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Dinobe wrote:

Hi yes, I'm running Crashplan on the NAS. I read in another topic that Crashplan logging might fill the OS partition and block stuff.....

I'll have a look into that.

It's not the logging.  It's a failed update.  You need Java 7 or Java 8

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Crashplan-JRE-update-needed/td-p/985781

You can clean /usr/local/crashplan/upgrade by accessing the NAS in tech support mode, and then upgrade Java.  

Message 4 of 7
Dinobe
Aspirant

Ok, thanks to your input StephenB I'v managed to get it this far:

- I put the NAS in service mode

- I managed to connect via Telnet

- I deleted all the 1* files under /usr/local/crashplan/

- I rebooted the NAS

- Enabled CIFS (managed to get back to my shares)

- reinstalled the root access plugin using the webview

- managed to get back into my nas using SSH

- updated Java

- downloaded and reinstalled crashplan (version 4.4.1)

So far so good, it still nees some work to get Crashplan working again, but that is another forum....

Message 5 of 7
Dinobe
Aspirant

I've finally managed to get Crashplan running again on my Readynas 6000. It took me a while to get it all working again, but it's a very easy fix. The problem is that there is a lot of confusing information on the net, even the instructions on the Code42 website are adding to the confusion.

I'm sharing this info, it might help others to get it working again.

1. Important!
- This info is concerning Crashplan 4.4.1 running on a Readynas 6000, with a Windows 10 client pc which runs the graphical front-end.
- Make sure you have at least java 1.7 running on the NAS device. I have java se embedded 8.65 installed using these instructions: http://minimserver.com/ejre-installer.html

2. Install crashplan 4.4.1
- A Linux and Windows client are available on the Code42 website. Download them and install them on your NAS and Windows device.
Nothing fancy here, just accept the defaults.

3. Configuration
The key mechanism behind this headless installation is to keep 2 files 'in sync': the .ui_info file on your NAS device and the _ui.info file on your Windows machine

On your NAS device:
- Locate the .ui_info file on your NAS device (it should be located here: /usr/local/crashplan/conf)
- Open the file, it should show something like: 4243,<machine guid>,127.0.0.1
- Copy the <machine guid> value to your windows notepad or similar and modify the ipaddress to 0.0.0.0

It should now say: 4243,<machine guid>,0.0.0.0

- Save the file and restart crashplan on the NAS device (/etc/init.d/crashplan restart)

Open the file again and check the GUID value. If it has changed, copy the value again to your windows notepad.

!! It seems that with a crashplan restart, the <machine guid> value might change

On your Windows machine:
Locate the _ui.info file. This should be in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\_ui.info
Open the file and modify:
- The port should be the same as the port on the nas device: 4243
- The machine guid should be modified to the value of the NAS device (see step above)
- The ip address should be set to the ip address of your NAS device. In my case this is 192.168.1.2

The _ui.info file should show now: 4243,<guid of NAS device>,<ip address of nas device>

Start Crashplan on the Windows machine. It should connect to your nas device.

All other info I have found seem to be non-relevant:  SSH-tunneling, modifying the ui.properties, changing the ports, .... all of this is not necessary.

One word of warning: if you restart your NAS device or reboot the Crashplan service, make sure check the machine guid in .ui_info on the nas and modify your windows client value.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

This might depend on whether you are using putty to tunnel the client connection or not.

I do use putty, and I did not need to modify .ui_info on the NAS.  I did need to update the client PC to use the right authentication token.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements