× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Shares on Admin Page don't match Windows File Explorer after drive mapping RN2120

initials
Aspirant

Shares on Admin Page don't match Windows File Explorer after drive mapping RN2120

Hi all,

I am having an issue where folders are showing up in the windows explorer that are not showing up on the admin page when I access the readyNAS device directly.

When I open a browser and connect to my ReadyNAS via ip address, I get to the login screen which then takes me to the admin page. I can see my volumes, shares, users, etc.

I have also mapped a few of the shares to network drives to facilitate faster storage and file retrieval. However, I recently found that you can map one share by mapping "\\192.168.1.xx\data\" which then brings up a shares on that particular NAS device. However, when I access it file the windows explorer after mapping, I find folders (shares) that are not found when logging into the admin portal via direct ip access or using readycloud. Those folders are empty, but when I try to delete them, they disappear but when I click refresh, they instantly reappear.

Any thoughts?

I have tried changing the permissions on the folders via windows explorer to no avail.

I am confused and somewhat frustrated. Help!

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Shares on Admin Page don't match Windows File Explorer after drive mapping RN2120

@initials wrote:

Those folders are empty, but when I try to delete them, they disappear but when I click refresh, they instantly reappear.

Yikes.  DON'T try to delete them.  

@initials wrote:

However, I recently found that you can map one share by mapping "\\192.168.1.xx\data\"

"data" is actually the full data volume, not a normal share.  You can only map it if you use the NAS admin credentials. It will include folders that aren't ordinarily shared - for instance, home (which is where the user home folders are stored).  There are several hidden files and folder in \data - ._share, .apps, .purge, .timemachine, .vault, etc,

\data\sharename is the same as sharename - it's just a different path to the same folder.

Don't try to delete the top level folders or files in \data from file explorer - the ReadyNAS application depends on those files and folders being present.  Also, don't create new folders in \data.  Instead create a new share from the ReadyNAS web ui.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Shares on Admin Page don't match Windows File Explorer after drive mapping RN2120

@initials wrote:

Those folders are empty, but when I try to delete them, they disappear but when I click refresh, they instantly reappear.

Yikes.  DON'T try to delete them.  

@initials wrote:

However, I recently found that you can map one share by mapping "\\192.168.1.xx\data\"

"data" is actually the full data volume, not a normal share.  You can only map it if you use the NAS admin credentials. It will include folders that aren't ordinarily shared - for instance, home (which is where the user home folders are stored).  There are several hidden files and folder in \data - ._share, .apps, .purge, .timemachine, .vault, etc,

\data\sharename is the same as sharename - it's just a different path to the same folder.

Don't try to delete the top level folders or files in \data from file explorer - the ReadyNAS application depends on those files and folders being present.  Also, don't create new folders in \data.  Instead create a new share from the ReadyNAS web ui.  

Message 2 of 7
initials
Aspirant

Thanks for the info.

It just causes some confusion because some of the folders that show up in the Windows Explorer mapped drive window are very similarly named to the actual share folders. These folders are empty but I don't want users getting confused because one folder is named "Photography" and one of the others is named "(00) Photography". Is there any reason you know of why extra shares/folders would show up in the explorer window but not in the actual admin web interface?

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@initials wrote:

These folders are empty but I don't want users getting confused because one folder is named "Photography" and one of the others is named "(00) Photography".

You really shouldn't map \data on user PCs.  There's too much risk that they will do something they shouldn't (for instance, create their own folders in the root). I map it on my application server, but not on our other PCs.   

I'm not seeing folders named anything like "(00) Photography" on my own NAS.  You might need to use ssh to figure out exactly what these folders are. If they are shares, they would be btrfs subvolumes.  If they were created by users, they would be ordinary folders.

What firmware are you running?

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@initials wrote:

These folders are empty but I don't want users getting confused because one folder is named "Photography" and one of the others is named "(00) Photography".

You really shouldn't map \data on user PCs.

And on top of it, admin should not be used to access the ReadyNAS shares.

Message 5 of 7
initials
Aspirant

I am running 6.6.1

I guess I will just have to let them ride.

They aren't causing THAT much trouble, it's just my OCD self likes to keep things as neat as possible and I try to make it as easy to use for my co-workers that work from files and folders on this NAS all day long.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@initials wrote:

I am running 6.6.1

Any reason why?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements