× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should I upgrade RND2150 to newer model?

kbr88
Aspirant

Should I upgrade RND2150 to newer model?

I have a readyNas Duo 2150 with 500GB of storage that I bought 6 years ago. Netgear has announced end of life for this model.

I need to upgrade the disk capacity to at least 1 TB if not 2TB.

However, given that it's now end of life, I am wondering if I should I upgrade to ReadyNas 100 or equivalent (with 2 x 2TB).

Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome.

thanks

kerry

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@kbr88 wrote:

I have a readyNas Duo 2150 with 500GB of storage that I bought 6 years ago. Netgear has announced end of life for this model.

I need to upgrade the disk capacity to at least 1 TB if not 2TB.

However, given that it's now end of life, I am wondering if I should I upgrade to ReadyNas 100 or equivalent (with 2 x 2TB).

Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome.

thanks

kerry

Just to be clear - the recent announcement was on the ultra/pro models, but was distributed more broadly.  Your duo has been end of life for long time now.  The duo v1 does support 2x2TB drives, but can't support drives > 2 TB.  So one option is to keep using your duo.

The RN102 is a 2-bay entry level model (as the duo was when you purchased).  It is much faster than the duo, so if you aren't looking for more features it would be the logical place to start.  

If you are interested in media streaming (particular over the internet) you might want to upgrade to the RN212 or the RN312.  The RN312 has free lifetime chat support (the RN100 and RN200 only have 90 days of free support).  Of course the higher end models will cost more.

Message 2 of 8
kbr88
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response. A couple points of clarification.

Currently, I have 2 Macs + 2 external hard disks that are backed up via Time Machine to Time Capsule (can't backup to NAS since it's almost at maximum capacity). So, I do have to upgrade capacity to 2 TB which should probably last a few years.

If I upgrade capacity, I could probably get rid of the Time Capsule .

I use the NAS as a local backup in addition to the external hard drives (which function as backup and extra storage) , consisting of photos, some video, docs etc. I sometimes use it for streaming of Sonos. I don't tend to need a lot of extra features--but anything that automates back-up is a plus.

is my best (and cheapest) option still to simply upgrade hard disk capacity?

Message 3 of 8
ifixidevices
Luminary

Well in the short-sight yes, your best option would be to just upgrade drives. It sounds tedious though to have external hard drives and the nas and all that so my suggestion would maybe be for now to pick up an rn102 or 104 depending on future capacity needs.

The RN102 can take up to 8TB drives but if you want any redundancy then you're only going to get 8TB's of space total. If you got an RN104 you could essentially put in up to 4 8TB hard drives giving you a capacity of 21TB's of data (and you wouldn't need all 8TB drives at once. Or you could buy smaller drives, sometimes the 3, 4, 5 or 6TB drives can be found for cheap.

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@kbr88 wrote:

is my best (and cheapest) option still to simply upgrade hard disk capacity?

I'd agree with ifixidevices overall.  But given your modest storage needs, I see no reason for you to consider 8 TB drives right now.  There aren't any on the hardware compatibility list anyway.

-Upgrading your Duo v1 to 2 TB RAID-1 would cost about ~$180 US. (2 WD20EFRX ~ $90 each).

-Replacing the NAS with a new RN102 would cost ~$120, and you'd still need to buy the drives.  So you'd need to spend ~$300 for 2x2 TB.  

-Replacing the NAS with an RN104 gives you 2 empty slots for future expansion, but would raise your initial cost to ~$400.

Pricing does depend on geography and timing, the numbers above are today's Newegg pricing in the US.

Message 5 of 8
ifixidevices
Luminary

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-RN102-2-Bay-Diskless-Network-Attached-Storage-RN10200-100NA...

$69.99 for an RN102 unit. Yes I'm sure it's used and doesn't have a warranty but I've bought from this guy before. Great guy and gets boxes out fast. That's a great price for a 6.0 unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NetGear-ReadyNAS-4-Bay-Diskless-RN10400-100NAS-/391262633341?hash=item5b1911...

$169.99 for an RN104... again same scenario but that's still a great price.

And while you don't need 8TB hard drives, you can still buy drives new or used (as long as they have warranties) off of eBay. Since you're trying to be economical take that into account. I bought an external 6TB drive for $139.99 that's under warranty for another 2 years. It had 100 power on hours. I'm going to throw it in my TiVo Roamio since I decided not to go with 6TB hard drives and with 8TB drives.

So keep your eyes peeled. There are great deals out there you just have to find them.

Message 6 of 8
meverz
Apprentice

It really depends on what you need to use your NAS for. If it is currently working well, and does everything you need, I would just replace the drives with 2x2TB, and keep using it, either till it is full, or it falls over.

If you decide you need a newer, more powerful device before then, you can still use your old NAS as a backup of the important files of your new NAS.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@meverz wrote:

It really depends on what you need to use your NAS for. If it is currently working well, and does everything you need, I would just replace the drives with 2x2TB, and keep using it, either till it is full, or it falls over.

If you decide you need a newer, more powerful device before then, you can still use your old NAS as a backup of the important files of your new NAS.

I agree.  I'd upgrade the drives for now (and recommend NAS drives - WD20EFRX or the Seagate VN equivalent).  

That's the cheapest path, and gives you a backup solution later if you want one.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements