× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Shrinking Array on OS 6

schalliol
Aspirant

Shrinking Array on OS 6

My original NV+ seems to have called it quits. This was my "Backup NAS" with 2TB HDDs. So, I'm going to get a new NAS and make the Ultra 4 Plus on 6.5.0 the backup. I have 1x 2TB and 3x 4 TB drives in the Ultra 4 Plus. Assuming I size down to support the needed file sizes, how would I drop the 4 TB units and replace them with 2 TB in order to keep the thing from needing to be factory defaulted?

I already pulled one of the 4 TB drives so it says "degraded". Can I put in one of the 2TB and tell it to re-sync for what space it has now to be redundant and then drop the next 4 TB, replace with 2, re-sync, etc.?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
omicron_persei8
Luminary

You can't shrink the volume
Message 2 of 5
schalliol
Aspirant

Wow, that seems harsh.  So if you drop a drive, you can't tell it to ignore that drive and re-sync to make one of 3 drives a parity drive?

In that case, can you pull ALL the drives and still retain the OS and settings with users, etc.?  Or am I pretty much screwed and the only way to do what I want is factory default it?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@schalliol wrote:

...So if you drop a drive, you can't tell it to ignore that drive and re-sync to make one of 3 drives a parity drive?

Correct. Though on OS 4.2 and OS 6 there is no parity drive.  Parity blocks are evenly spread across all drives.

@schalliol wrote:

In that case, can you pull ALL the drives and still retain the OS and settings with users, etc.? 

No, the settings are on the disks.  If you can reach the web ui, you can save the configuration to a PC.  That will preserve settings but not data.

Then you can do a factory reset, reinstall the add-ons, restore the configuration file (order matters!), and then restore the data.  You do need to make sure you use the same volume name(s) you have now.

Message 4 of 5
schalliol
Aspirant

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements