× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Simultaneous Sync Between two NAS Drive

SAN58
Aspirant

Simultaneous Sync Between two NAS Drive

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering is there anyway to share Folder in one NAS RN212 into another NAS RN212 Through Internet in order to have Simultaneous Sync.

I mean, whenever someone Copied or Created a file in first one it would be accessable on the second NAS on the spot  without a scheduled Back up job.

I tried to do it using SMB & DFS but looks not working  correctly.

Does anyone has any idea or direction to have that

Thanks

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9
ManuelA
Guide

Have you tried resilio sync ? It should show as a featured app the GUI if you are running latest firmware

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@ManuelA wrote:

Have you tried resilio sync ? It should show as a featured app the GUI if you are running latest firmware

I run it on a PC and my mobile devices.  FWIW, I find that when I delete or move folders, they often reappear (synced back from another client).  I find it useful despite that quirk - but my use case is really only one-way, so it's fairly easy to troubleshoot.

Definitely give it a test drive before you commit to it.

Message 3 of 9
SAN58
Aspirant

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for your comment and solution provided. Could you please advise a bit more on  how to use Resilio Sync?

Thanks

Message 4 of 9
SAN58
Aspirant

Also, is there any other option which we do not need to use 3rd party softwares?

How DFS will work for two Ready NAS? Do you have any idea about that?

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
SAN58
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Are you talking about resilio Sync or other solution. I prefer to not use 3rd Part Software. Is there any specification in ReadyNAS 212 Series wheich I could active and build the solution?

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
ManuelA
Guide

@SAN58 wrote:

Hi Manuel,

Thanks for your comment and solution provided. Could you please advise a bit more on  how to use Resilio Sync?

Thanks

Hi Sam

I mentionned Resilio Sync because it does exactly what you are looking for which is to synchronise 1 folder between 2 devices accross internet. I use this app to synchronise pictures from my mobile phone to my NAS (in that case it copies only in 1 direction). As far as I know it uses the bittorrent protocol in the background so it can actually synchronise a folder between multiple devices.

If you have any doubt, you can probably find more informations about this solution in press reviews.

I would probably enable snaphots on both or at least one NAS in order to recover data in case they are delected by mistake because the deletion will spread between the different devices synchronising the folder Smiley Happy 

Message 7 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

I doubt that Samba on the ReadyNAS was compiled with the msdfs option, and I don't know how to check if it is or not.  Setting it up, if avalable, would require doing a lot at the SSH level and could interfere with the ReadyNASOS processes.  And since you would have to edit the samba configuration file, OS updates might undo some of your work.  Resilio Sync, on the other hand, has a GUI and has been tested to be compatible with ReadyNASOS.  But if you want to try msdfs replication, just Google it.  Note that replication is set up separately from file distribution, unlike on a Windows server.  Personally, the only reason I would even consider using DFS is if I had both Linux and Windows servers.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@SAN58 wrote:

Are you talking about resilio Sync or other solution.

Specifically about Resilio Sync (commenting on @ManuelA's suggestion).

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements