× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Size confusion

cNone
Aspirant

Size confusion

Hello all,

I have setup my RN214 on my home network  and i love the device so far as I have used it some other companies too. Now I have very confused about the size of the volume. I have:

3x8TB 

1X3TB 

Drives and I started to build them with raid5 x-raid. It is still resyncing but the volume settings tab shows I have 8.17TB

Now I have looked at the Raid Calculator and configured there and calculator says that I should have 17.2Tb of capacity and 7.28TB of protection. Now my question is, after resync do i have 8.17TB of space or 17.2TB? Or am I doing something wrong?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Size confusion

@cNone wrote:

Now I have very confused about the size of the volume. I have:

3x8TB 

1X3TB 

Drives and I started to build them with raid5 x-raid. It is still resyncing but the volume settings tab shows I have 8.17TB

Now I have looked at the Raid Calculator and configured there and calculator says that I should have 17.2Tb of capacity and 7.28TB of protection. Now my question is, after resync do i have 8.17TB of space or 17.2TB? Or am I doing something wrong?

After the resync fully completes, the capacity will be 19 TB (which is reported as 17.2 TiB).

When you have unequal size disks, the system creates multiple RAID groups to maximize the capacity.  In your case you have one RAID-5 group that is 4x3TB, and a second RAID-5 group of 3x5TB that uses the remaining space on the 8 TB drives.  These are concatenated together to give you a single volume.

The first RAID group has a capacity of 9 TB (~8.17 TiB), the second has a capacity of 10 TB (~9.09 TiB).

The syncing is done one RAID group at a time, so the volume will expand to the full size after the second RAID group is synced.

FWIW, the capacity rule for single-redundancy XRAID is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  Note that you can't gain capacity by upgrading the 3 TB drive to something in between 3 and 8 TB.  You'll need to upgrade it to at least 8 TB.  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@cNone wrote:

Now I have very confused about the size of the volume. I have:

3x8TB 

1X3TB 

After the resync fully completes, the capacity will be 19 TB (which is reported as 17.2 TiB).

When you have unequal size disks, the system creates multiple RAID groups to maximize the capacity.  In your case you have one RAID-5 group that is 4x3TB, and a second RAID-5 group of 3x5TB that uses the remaining space on the 8 TB drives.  These are concatenated together to give you a single volume.

The first RAID group has a capacity of 9 TB (~8.17 TiB), the second has a capacity of 10 TB (~9.09 TiB).

The syncing is done one RAID group at a time, so the volume will expand to the full size after the second RAID group is synced.

FWIW, the capacity rule for single-redundancy XRAID is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  Note that you can't gain capacity by upgrading the 3 TB drive to something in between 3 and 8 TB.  You'll need to upgrade it to at least 8 TB.  

Message 2 of 3
cNone
Aspirant

Thank you for clarification. Now the resync completed and yes the reported capacity is 17.2

Thanks again 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements