× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow access to Readynas after upgrade to 6.9.x (Admin page, SMB etc)

AMK64
Aspirant

Slow access to Readynas after upgrade to 6.9.x (Admin page, SMB etc)

Hi there,

I upgraded to 6.8 and 6.9 a while ago but since I noticed performance slowdowns I went back to 6.7.5, which is IMHO a very stable release. Versions 6.8. and 6.9. (all availavle sub-versions) show the following:

Slow SMB-mounting (when booting Win or OSX-machines)

Slow SMB-access to the shares, sometimes stuck in the middle, showing "the watch"

Very slow access to the admin page (sometimes up to 2 minutes)

Sometimes navigating/updating settings in the admin page crashes, leaving you with the "reconnecting" page

OSX-specific: in the finder window then NAS should show as 2 devices: NAS (SMB) and NAS (AFP), but in fact it does show

as NAS and NAS (AFP), and you cannot connect to it when you click the "NAS" entry.

After downgrading to 6.7.5 everything is fine and in OSX the device NAS (SMB) is there as expectes and i can connect to it by clicking its name.

I have checked various client systems (OSX 10.7, OSX 10.9, Win7, Win10), but on 6.9.x access is slow on all PCs. As a browser, I'm using Chrome in the latest version running on the OSes mentioned above.

Anyone found the same, anyone an idea?

Thanks,

-Alois

Model: ReadyNAS RND2120|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which model is this with? The Duo is not a model that can run OS6.

Which services are you running?

Are you using any apps?

Message 2 of 8
AMK64
Aspirant

Sorry for the wrong model - it's a RN10200 wit 2 x 3 TB disks.

The folowing services are enabled: SMB, AFP, FTP, UPnP, HTTP, HTTPS and virus protection.

Additionally, in the "cloud section", ReadyNAS and Dropbox are up and running.

I'm not using any apps.

So far the behaviour has canged to the better in the meanwhile after some reboots of the NAS and re-mapping it as a network drive in Windows.

Response time is still a little slower on the OSX machines. Since I use SMB to access the NAS on all OSX machines I think the persisting problem tracks down to the SMB part. Additionally the missing "SMB" right to the NAS name in the OSX finder's shares view and the error message I get wehen I click it (instead of showing all available shares in right window pane) points into that direction. Below I have attached a screenshot.

When I downgrade to 6.7.5 everything ist fine, the name "NAS (SMB)" shows up in the finder's window and clicking the name displays all available shares on the NAS in the right window pane.

So, as a final conclusion, it seems to me like some changes in the SMB interface/protocol must have been made between 6.7.5 and 6.9.2

-Alois

Message 3 of 8
AMK64
Aspirant

Update: while things are accetable on WIN systems, OSX access via SMB is still slooooow and a lots of stalls. So I downgraded to 6.7.5 again and things work fine. I have attached a screenshot how the OSX finder displays the NAS and this is how it should be.

So far I can't see a solution except staying at 6.7.5 (and click away the update remeinder everytime I log into the admine pane 😞

Alois

adter_downgrading_to_675.jpg

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 4 of 8
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@AMK64

Could do you please disable Antivirus and try again?

Message 5 of 8
AMK64
Aspirant

Hi evan2,

I did disable the real time virus protection service as you suggested for some test runs - but that did not change a thing!

Alois

Message 6 of 8
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

I don't see the issue in local,

Could do you please change SMB encryption to global and set as disable in Admin GUI Sytstem/Settings/ Services/SMB, then check SMB performance?

6.9.1 added smb encryption, it's default setting is share level Enable, genually, it should be not SMB encryption at this time,

Anyway, you may try to disable SMB encryption in Global.

Message 7 of 8
AMK64
Aspirant

Thanks evan2, I tried your suggestions, did sot solve the problem.

Latest findings are:

1) Situation is worst on NAS 6.9.2 connected by a Macintosh machine running OSX 10.7.5 (the latest OS to run on 32 bit kernel machines). The SMB connection drops, even the NAS admin page crashes after some clicks. Need to reboot the NAS then. The only way here seems to downgrade the NAS to 6.7.5 (which is what I use right now). Unfortunately I have 2 desktop Macs with 32 bit kernel, hence bound to OSX 10.7.5.

2) Situation is much better on my Macintosh Macbook running OSX 10.9.5 (havent tried newer OSes!), which is a 64 bit kernel machine connected to a NAS 6.9.2. Need more checks with this configuration.

3) I can't tell a lot about Win7/Win10 connected to a NAS 6.9.2 as I need to borrow such a machine and do some checks.

Will keep you informed,

-Alois

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements