× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow file transfer

Typhoon1
Aspirant

Slow file transfer

Hi all,

I have a problem that I hope maybe someone out there can help me with.

I have a very slow transfer between my computer and my NAS (Ultra 4+ with 2x Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 [1863 GB]). If I want to transfer a large file it takes forever. If I want to transfer a folder with 50 pictures, it could take whole day, without exaggerating.
There is no problem moving or copying files localy, the problem is the transfer between a computer (any computer, tried three different computers) -----> NAS.

I'm not sure what kind of information you all need to be able to find the problem so here are some that might have something to do with it.
Router: Netgear DIR-655 with latest firmware (1.31EU).
Network card on computer: Realtek PCIe Gigabite card, latest drivers
Network settings on NAS:
Full-duplex
MTU: 1500
Workgroup: Same as computer

I have the following installed on NAS:
AirVideo
BitTorrent
DNSoMatic
ffmpeg
PHP5GD (not active)
ReadyNAS Remote (not active)
ReadyNAS Photos II (not active)
Transmission (not active)
uTorrent

I don't know if this has to do with anything...

I pressed the button "Show errors" in Frontview, network settings, and received the following information:
Nätverksfel [Ethernet 1]
TX-paket 58157883
TX-fel 0 (error)
TX-nedstängningar 0
TX-överskridningar 0
TX-medium 0
RX-paket 36989567
RX-fel 13684043 (error)
RX stängs ned 31 (closed)
RX-överskridningar 0
RX-ram 13684043
Kollisioner 0
(Within () is my translated note)

If you need any more information about my NAS, don't hesitate to ask... I really don't think it should take this long time to transfer files or folders between computer and NAS...

Could the router be the bad link here? According to Compatibility List, Netgear DIR-655 is not ok with a NAS. Will all problems be solved if I should buy a new router? 😄 If so, is WNDR3700 the best choice? Or should it work fine with DIR-655?

Please help!
Message 1 of 14
de_niro
Guide

Re: Slow file transfer

Have you tried link the computer to NAS directly?as you provided network logs that we can see a lot of RX errors,I think this issue could be related with your router.
Message 2 of 14
Typhoon1
Aspirant

Does that mean that if I buy a new router, the WNDR3700, the problem would be solved?

Could the router be the problem with AirVideo, that the movies are lagging? (had no problem with AirVideo on my old server)

Could the router be the problem with BitTorrent, that the uploads are between 0-100kb when it should be much much faster? (had no problem with BitTorrent on my old server)

Anyone?
Message 3 of 14
Typhoon1
Aspirant

I'm moving a file right now, 193kbytes/s, a file about 1gb will take 1h20min to transfer. Frustrating... Could it be a permission thing? Please, any ideas?
Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Typhoon wrote:
Does that mean that if I buy a new router, the WNDR3700, the problem would be solved?

Could the router be the problem with AirVideo, that the movies are lagging? (had no problem with AirVideo on my old server)

Could the router be the problem with BitTorrent, that the uploads are between 0-100kb when it should be much much faster? (had no problem with BitTorrent on my old server)

Anyone?
Let's not jump ahead too fast.

The suggestion to try direct connect is a troubleshooting step. A link on direct connect is here: http://sphardy.com/web/readynas/how-to- ... -readynas/

If the slow speeds and errors are still there, then try a different cable between the PC and the ReadyNAS.
Message 5 of 14
balky
Aspirant

Last weekend was one of awe, shock and surprise for me when I proudly connected my brand new NV+ to the network inserted 4 x 2T WD drives and after waiting over an hour the setup button still didn't become available on the RAIDar software.

After a little over an hour of waiting I powered down the device and removed three disks, leaving a single one in bay 4.

The system initialized and was ready after about 15 minutes of waiting. I hot inserted the second drive into bay three, and after about 45 minutes of waiting I got a bad disk error...
Lucky it was a brand new disk, so I took it back to the store for replacement.

With a new disk at hand, I powered down the device, re-inserted all the four disks, powered on the device and went out to lunch and to play football with my 3.5 yr old son. (morale: avoid hot swapping if you can...)

I came back three hours after, checked in front view and saw that I had less than the expected 8TB disk space... OK... after doing some searching / reading I found out that the device automatically configures RAID-X and I had to do a factory reset, select flex-raid and raid level 0 to get what I want... WOW...

This time around the system startup took a little less than an hour...

Ok, I now have my desired 8T of disk space and decided to start copying my media files et al (about 7T) to the NAS...

I selected about 980G of data on first PC and copy / paste to the first drive in the NAS... and... wait a minute... 13MB/s transfer speed :shock: ...

This must be a joke, I tell myself... my house is wired CAT6 Gig Ethernet with a Cisco switch and a Cisco WVSR4400N Gigabit router... pretty state of the art for a home network with three PCs and two laptops...

Anyway, I've been working with Cisco equipments for more than a decade, so I switch to troubleshooting mode...

I fixed speed / duplex on the PC NIC to 1000 / full, installed wireshark on the second PC and set port monitoring on the switch to copy traffic going to the NAS to the second PC...
Wireshark revealed no errors, I looked on the NAS itself the network had zero error on all parameters... isn't this great...

After further analysis, I decided to insert a network card into PC and stop using the onboard network card... I installed the latest drivers, setup jumbo frames and all what not and tried again...

This time the transfer speed hit 22MB/s with the new network card... still not quite impressive for a device that is advertized to handle Gbit ethernet speed...

I came on the forum only to find out that I am not the only one... what a shame... I saw some mentioning that the device became crippled with a new firmware upgrade... etc... etc...

Since Sunday evening till now, I have succeeded in copying 2.5TB of my 7TB of data... I hope all the copying will be completed by Friday...5 days to copy 7TB of data on a clean Gb switched network...

After the copying is finished, if the device is not able to concurrently stream video properly to at least the three PCs without issues, I will be sending it back for refund...

My impression is not the best so far...

I will like to know if a downgrade of firmware can help, and where to find older versions of firmware...

Fingers crossed...
Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

balky wrote:
Last weekend was one of awe, shock and surprise for me when I proudly connected my brand new NV+ to the network inserted ...
This time the transfer speed hit 22MB/s with the new network card... still not quite impressive for a device that is advertized to handle Gbit ethernet speed...
Check here- Netgear only claims 23-24 MB/s write performance for the NV+ http://www.readynas.com/?p=310

ReadyNAS comes in two processor families - an older Sparc-based family, and a newer Intel-based family. The Intel-based products have much higher performance (ReadyNAS PRO, ReadyNAS Ultra, ReadyNAS NVX).

But you purchased one of the older Sparc-based units.
Message 7 of 14
balky
Aspirant

Nice one...
You probably want to take a look around in the performance forum...
I am completely new to this stuff, and all the information around here isn't really encouraging...
There are quite a few folks on here with the intel based products complaining about HD content streaming...
Message 8 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

Slow file transfer

balky wrote:

I am completely new to this stuff, and all the information around here isn't really encouraging...

This is a support forum - people post when they have problems and often do not post updates when they resolve those problems (like most of the HD streaming issues on x86 NAS has been traced backed to windows NIC driver issues) - therefore most of the content will reflect that.
Message 9 of 14
Typhoon1
Aspirant

The suggestion to try direct connect is a troubleshooting step. A link on direct connect is here: http://sphardy.com/web/readynas/how-to- ... -readynas/

If the slow speeds and errors are still there, then try a different cable between the PC and the ReadyNAS.

I have now tried to do a direct connect between computer and NAS, same slow speed :cry: I tried 2 different cables without any change. So this means that it has something to do with the NAS, right? Some setting that might be wrong?
Message 10 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

Not necessarily - you've isolated the problem to either the NAS, PC, or the cable that connects them (though probably not the cable as you have tried 2)

I note you have a Realtek NIC - as commented in my previous post, a number of issues have been traced back to NIC drivers, Realtek NIC drivers under Win7 especially seem to be causing problems, and so I would tend to try to eliminate that before concluding the issue is the NAS. Search the forum for "Realtek", you'll get lots of hits with comments on which drivers work best
Message 11 of 14
balky
Aspirant

sphardy wrote:
balky wrote:

This is a support forum - people post when they have problems and often do not post updates when they resolve those problems (like most of the HD streaming issues on x86 NAS has been traced backed to windows NIC driver issues) - therefore most of the content will reflect that.

You do have a solid point there...

Thanks.
Message 12 of 14
Typhoon1
Aspirant

I tried different drivers for my Realtek but no difference. I also tried transfer file using FTP and still very slow, same low speed. A lot of information here and a lot that I don't understand. I read that someone changed some numbers on something called MTU. Someone changed the numbers from 1500 to 9000 something like that and got higher speed. Is this something I should try? If so, how do I change this MTU? (I'm feeling very newbee right now 🙂 )
Message 13 of 14
sphardy1
Apprentice

If you are still directly connected, and none of the driver updates improve the situation, then I would suggest you contact tech support, particularly if you are continuing to have high RX errors.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements