× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Snapshots have disappeared

RupertGiles
Apprentice

Snapshots have disappeared

I upgraded this morning to 6.9.5, and I noticed that all my snapshots have disappeared. I don't know whether or not this disappearance is a result of the upgrade.

Quotas are enabled.

Disk spin-down is enabled, with spin-up enabled to take scheduled snapshots. 

I am able to manually create a snapshot.

Logs show that snapshots were last pruned in 11-Jan-2019.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@RupertGiles wrote:

Also, were I to run a btrfs scrub from the shell, would I be crossing any lines with respect to future support from Netgear? 

General guidance from Netgear is that support won't help you if they decide that your use of ssh did damage.  If there was damage, then doing a factory reset would resolve it.  https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

Personally I don't think doing a btrfs scrub would do damage (since the scrub in the web ui includes it).  But I don't work for Netgear, and their views might differ.

@RupertGiles wrote:

While we're on the subject, could you remind me of the "Correct" order for the various maintenance tasts--Defrag, Scub, and Balance?

Honestly, I don't think there is a correct order.  I run them all periodically (on a three month schedule), so the cycle could begin with any of them.  FWIW my current schedule is

• disk test (month 1 of the quarter)
  • balance (month 2 of the quarter )
  • defrag (middle of month 2 of the quarter)
  • scrub (month 3 of the quarter)

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you using smart snapshots or custom settings?

What firmware were you running before you upgraded to 6.9.5?

Message 2 of 15
RupertGiles
Apprentice

I am using Smart Snapshots, set to "Weekly".

Message 3 of 15
RupertGiles
Apprentice

P.S. Previous firmware was the previous version -- 6.9.4. I generally update when the new firmware is released

Message 4 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Are new scheduled snapshots being created?

FWIW, I updated my backup NAS to 6.9.5 recently, and I didn't lose any snapshots.

Message 5 of 15
RupertGiles
Apprentice

Difficult to say. I didn't think to check before I upgraded the system this morning. 

However, the logs report that on 11-Jan, older snapshots were successfully pruned. That would seem to indicate that there had been snapshots present.

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@RupertGiles wrote:

Difficult to say. I didn't think to check before I upgraded the system this morning. 

However, the logs report that on 11-Jan, older snapshots were successfully pruned. That would seem to indicate that there had been snapshots present.

And if you were using "smart" snapshot the system retains the monthly snapshots indefinitely.  So if that's the case, something definitely went wrong over the past couple of weeks.

Try setting the snapshot schedule to daily for one share, and then copy a file into that share.  Then see if a snapshot is created tonight.

Message 7 of 15
RupertGiles
Apprentice

Thanks! I will follow your suggestion, and keep you posted on the result.

Message 8 of 15
RupertGiles
Apprentice

Well, snapshots have started to work again. Not only did the the share I configured for a daily snapshot get one, but all the other shares that are configured for weekly snapshots did as well. No explanation at all. 

Is there a way to determine if "Phantom" snapshots are lurking somewhere taking up space? I can't help wondering if the older snapshots are there, but for some reason, the system isn't seeing them.

Thanks again for your help!

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@RupertGiles wrote:

Is there a way to determine if "Phantom" snapshots are lurking somewhere taking up space? I can't help wondering if the older snapshots are there, but for some reason, the system isn't seeing them.

If you have ssh enabled, you can look for snapshots using

# btrfs subvolume list -s  /data

You can also look in .purge to see if some are "stuck" in there.

# ls /data/.purge

FWIW, you might also want to do a scrub (from the volume settings wheel), followed by a balance.

Message 10 of 15
RupertGiles
Apprentice

Thanks for that...all snapshots were created last night, and nothing in /data/.purge.

I have a scrub scheduled to run 2x/year, on 1 Jan and 1 July, so just did one. I will, however, run a Balance.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@RupertGiles wrote:

I have a scrub scheduled to run 2x/year, on 1 Jan and 1 July, so just did one.

I'd still run another one, since the snapshots disappeared in mid-January.  You could speed it up perhaps by running a btrfs scrub from linux (which would skip the raid scrub part).

Message 12 of 15
RupertGiles
Apprentice

Will do.

While we're on the subject, could you remind me of the "Correct" order for the various maintenance tasts--Defrag, Scub, and Balance?

Also, were I to run a btrfs scrub from the shell, would I be crossing any lines with respect to future support from Netgear? 

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@RupertGiles wrote:

General guidance from Netgear is that support won't help you if they decide that your use of ssh did damage.  If there was damage, then doing a factory reset would resolve it.  https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

Personally I don't think doing a btrfs scrub would do damage (since the scrub in the web ui includes it).  But I don't work for Netgear, and their views might differ.

@RupertGiles wrote:

Honestly, I don't think there is a correct order.  I run them all periodically (on a three month schedule), so the cycle could begin with any of them.  FWIW my current schedule is

• disk test (month 1 of the quarter)
  • balance (month 2 of the quarter )
  • defrag (middle of month 2 of the quarter)
  • scrub (month 3 of the quarter)

Message 14 of 15
RupertGiles
Apprentice

Well, not sure what happened to cause the original problem of vanishing snapshots, but they're now getting created as scheduled.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements