× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Snapshots not being taken as specified on 6.10.0 HF2

XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Snapshots not being taken as specified on 6.10.0 HF2

Greetings!

I have a number of shares with various snapshot settings, which are not being actioned as specified:

With "smart" management set to daily, snapshots are only being taken weekly.

With "custom" manangement and "only take snapshots with changes" set OFF, snapshots only being taken occasionally.

With "custom" manangement and "only take snapshots with changes" set ON and a midnight daily schedule set, snapshots only being taken occasionally.

Anybody else experiencing this behaviour? Anyone at Netgear aware of this issue?

Model: RN626X|ReadyNAS 626X – 6 Bays with Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Server Processor
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Snapshots not being taken as specified on 6.10.0 HF2

@XtheUnknown wrote:

With "custom" manangement and "only take snapshots with changes" set ON and a midnight daily schedule set, snapshots only being taken occasionally.

This is my config, and it appears to be working correctly.  I'll keep an eye on it though, and let you know if I see anything off.

Message 2 of 9
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Thanks.

Smart daily snapshots missed again overnight as were the custom midnight only-with-changes snapshots.

Custom hourly snapshots (only-with-changes) are being taken once daily at 2am (even if no files have changed).

So both the temporal scheduling and the detection of changes appears suspect.

Message 3 of 9
BingkeX
NETGEAR Expert

@XtheUnknown wrote:

Thanks.

Smart daily snapshots missed again overnight as were the custom midnight only-with-changes snapshots.

Custom hourly snapshots (only-with-changes) are being taken once daily at 2am (even if no files have changed).

Hi XtheUnknown

Would you please check the timezone of your readyNas on  System->Overview->Device time, settings page? And all your issued items are shares? not Home folder or iscsi LUN? 

Best Regards.

Message 4 of 9
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Hi BingkeX,

The "2am" issue is on the home folder share, the other issues are on normal shares, there are no iSCSI LUNs.

Only *some* users have protection (ie snapshots) enabled on their home folders.

My timezone is set to Western European (GMT-0) - but we're currently on daylight saving/summer time, therefore the actual local time is equivalent to GMT+1 (and appears to be curretly reported by the NAS as such).

Hope that helps. BTW, I can't be sure, but I think this behaviour may have started after one or both of the hotfixes was applied.

Message 5 of 9
bxue
Aspirant

@XtheUnknown wrote:

Hi BingkeX,

The "2am" issue is on the home folder share, the other issues are on normal shares, there are no iSCSI LUNs.

Only *some* users have protection (ie snapshots) enabled on their home folders.

My timezone is set to Western European (GMT-0) - but we're currently on daylight saving/summer time, therefore the actual local time is equivalent to GMT+1 (and appears to be curretly reported by the NAS as such).

Hi XtheUnknown,

Is your PC local timezone or browser timezone same with your readyNas's timezone as Western European (GMT-0)?  Maybe they are not same, and  you got "2am" issue show on snapshot recovery page.

Smart daily snapshot schedule will generate snapshot every day 0‘o clock refer to your readyNas's timezone.

Custom schedule snapshot will generate snapshot with schedule you set if "only take snapshot with changes" disabled. And if you enable "only take snapshot with changes" option, then the first snapshot will generate and from the second snapshot on, if there is no changes in share, there would no new snapshot generate.

When you change your readyNas's timezone? Would you please change your local PC or browser's timezone same with your readyNas and restart your nas to check if you still see issue? 

Best Regards

Message 6 of 9
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Hi Bxue,

All my devices, from my kitchen clock, phone to my PC and NAS are on the same time zone (GMT0BST).

Message 7 of 9
XtheUnknown
Apprentice

Checked my power settings and I had disk spin down enabled, without spin-up to take scheduled snapshots ticked.

Changing that seems to have solved the problem - perhaps some changes/corrections have been made to that functionality.

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@XtheUnknown wrote:

Checked my power settings and I had disk spin down enabled, without spin-up to take scheduled snapshots ticked.

Changing that seems to have solved the problem

Thanks for following up!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements