× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Snapshots not working

jimc1438
Aspirant

Snapshots not working

Hello, We have purchased a ReadyNas RN4200X unit for use as a network shares. Any of the original shares that I created on this unit are taking snapshots according to their schedule correctly. Any of the newer shares that I have created, the snapshots are not being taken. I have tried changing from Daily to Hourly to None and back to Daily and they refuse to work. There is nothing showing in the log that the system even attempted to create a snapshot of these newer shares. The log does show the older shares having snapshots taken and the older snapshots removed. I also cannot take a manual snapshot of ANY share. If I attempt to, I get an immediate error stating 'Snapshot 'test' is failed to create for share or LUN 'Public'. (The poor grammar is not mine!) If I look at the logs, it has this record in it: snapshot: Snapshot 'test' is failed to create for share or LUN 'Public'. We need to be able to rely on these snapshots in case we have to revert back to a previous version of a file, or if someone inadvertently deletes something. Unfortunately, I am 12 days past the 90 day limit for phone support. Please let me know what can be done to fix this problem.

Thanks, Jim Cook
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?
Message 2 of 11
jimc1438
Aspirant

Firmware is 6.2.2. I don't believe snapshots were working in 6.2.1 or possibly 6.2.0.
Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I had a similar issue a few weeks ago - I have 2 volumes (jbod), and snapshots worked on one, but not the other. I had the same failure message when I did a manual snapshot. Mdgm sorted it for me. Unfortunately I didn't ask what he did!
Message 4 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In 6.2.x we did an upgrade to snapshots. It sounds like at least partially that this didn't work on your system.
Message 5 of 11
jimc1438
Aspirant

mdgm: 'In 6.2.x we did an upgrade to snapshots. It sounds like at least partially that this didn't work on your system.'

I see your private message and I will be responding.
Message 6 of 11
jdh2n
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. I can snapshot one volume but my external device volume will not snapshot. It returns an error "Snapshot 'MANUAL_SNAPSHOT_03102015' is failed to create for share or LUN 'XXXXXX'." Code: 28003020000. It worked before I upgraded to 6.2.2 last week.
Message 7 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What do you mean by external device volume? Are you using an EDA500?

Can you send me your logs (see the link in my sig)?
Message 8 of 11
PeteMoran
Star

We're seeing the same issue on a client's new RN104. Auto daily snapshots are not incrementing - there is plenty of space and files change daily.

"snapshot: Snapshot 'Manual' is failed to create for share or LUN 'WindowsImages'."

The Code was the same ie 28003020000
Message 9 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see what's wrong. I can take a look if you like.
Message 10 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

PeteMoran it turns out the volume on the client's 104 is >16TB. Volumes >16TB are not supported on the 100 series. This is why you ran into issues.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements