× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Snapshots taking a lot of space but all snapshots are disabled.

smokinokie
Star

Snapshots taking a lot of space but all snapshots are disabled.

I have two Readynas 316 boxes. I have disabled all snapshots on all shares. I have removed all snapshots from the shares. The problem is one box is reporting 1.8 TB of shapshots and the other is reporting 3.17 TB of snapshots. Needless to say, I can't locate any snapshots anywhere. I can browse out to the shares via windows and still no snapshots. So, where is all that space going?  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
smokinokie
Star

Found it.

Using btrfs command to delete the subvolum. 

btrfs subvol delete /data/._share/name-of-folder/.snapshot/name-of-subfolder

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 10
smokinokie
Star

Logs sent.

Message 3 of 10
smokinokie
Star

I saw this thread and it resolved the issue on one of my boxes but not the other. The box that it didn't work on appears to have snapshots that belonged to an old share that isn't on the NAS any longer. How do you locate and delete those? They are located in the ._share directory. I can see the directories listed there. Of the 11 directories listed, 6 are no longer shared. An attempt to delete the old shares results in an error because they are set as read only.

Any thoughts?

Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you're referring to https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Deleting-Files-and-Snapshots-does-not-free-up-s...

This is to force the upgrade of old snapshots.

According to your logs, you do have old snapshots, but also some snapshots that should be deleted but aren't. This is because the BTRFS volume is completely full (fully allocated). As you need space to delete data, it's blocked there.

Total devices 1 FS bytes used 7.30TiB
devid 1 size 9.07TiB used 9.07TiB path /dev/md127

Metadata, DUP: total=175.50GiB, used=16.65GiB

Snapshot: 1764782596KB (1723420 MB)

[16/09/01 11:57:35 CDT] warning:volume:LOGMSG_VOLUME_USAGE_NOTICE Less than 30% of volume data's capacity is free. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to maintain current performance levels. Continuous protection snapshots will be deleted when volume free space is less than 25%.
[16/10/14 18:47:26 CDT] warning:volume:LOGMSG_VOLUME_USAGE_WARNING Less than 20% of volume data's capacity is free. Performance on volume data will degrade if additional capacity is consumed. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to avoid performance degradation.
[16/11/01 06:07:33 CDT] warning:volume:LOGMSG_VOLUME_USAGE_CRITICAL Less than 10% of volume data's capacity is free. Performance on volume data is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.
[17/01/10 14:37:49 CST] warning:volume:LOGMSG_VOLUME_USAGE_CRITICAL Less than 5% of volume data's capacity is free. Performance on volume data is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.

Unless you know how to fix that, I would suggest contacting NETGEAR Support.

You should also keep an eye on your HDDs. They're getting old and two of them are showing some errors (nothing urgent for the moment).

Message 5 of 10
smokinokie
Star

Yes, that was the thread. I'm not sure why It didn't show when I posted. Anyway, the commands 

# touch /.force_snapshots_upgrade
# systemctl restart readynasd

worked on one box but not the other. I believe it's because those shares don't exist any longer. So, it boils down to how to delete directories with thousands of files that are also read only?

Message 6 of 10
smokinokie
Star

Found it.

Using btrfs command to delete the subvolum. 

btrfs subvol delete /data/._share/name-of-folder/.snapshot/name-of-subfolder

Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in a fresh set of logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 8 of 10
smokinokie
Star

Logs sent. I'm pretty sure I sent the logs from the same box as last time.

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The space on the data volume is no longer fully allocated.

You've still got snapshots etc. under /data/.purge that you may wish to deal with.

For snapshots not under .purge normally you'd use snapper to delete.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements