× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Software Sucks

BriMill
Tutor

Software Sucks

Does anyone have the slightest idea why Netgear would manufacture a perfectly NAS drive with perhaps the worst NAS software in history?

Even simple tasks become torture with this product.  I will never buy another Netgear product!

Model: ReadyNASRND2220|ReadyNAS Duo 4TB (2 X 2TB)
Message 1 of 8
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Software Sucks

Hi @BriMill

Welcome to the Community!

You are right, NETGEAR does really put a lot of effort to come up with a product that will have the highest of quality, Pair that with developers, testers and other experts needed to better improve it's performance and support through years.

I can understand your disappointment though, there are times that getting used to a product is not that easy or performing a task is not that simple to do 🙂 but that is where the Support and Community can help. You can tell what issues you are getting and help can definitely be provided.

We hope to hear from you. 🙂

Regards

Message 2 of 8
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I've mentioned this in the past myself.  So I'm currently using rsync.    I can use this to backup most of my Data.  I backup my ReadyNAS516 to a cheap QNAP Nas I got from ebay.  It's pretty automated.  A couple times a week the QNAP powers up on its own at the set time I have set early enough to have enough time to boot up as it takes a while.  Then the 516 copies any file to the QNAP using rsync that hasn't been copied to the QNAP yet.

What it doesn't backup is the software I'm installed on it and their settings and whatnot.  It took me a number of hours to manually install them and get them working as there is no nice installer for a couple of my programs.      It would be nice if I could CLONE my 516 to the QNAP and than any changes since that full CLONE.  So that I could do an easy restore back to the 516 of everything and have it all working as it should.   I haven't figured a good way of doing that yet.  I have most of it backed up at least.  When you get into the 12TB area of a backup, the only practical way to do a backup is to another NAS.  A NAS alone is not a backup.  There are still a number of ways to lose your data on a NAS.  

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

It would be nice if I could CLONE my 516 to the QNAP and than any changes since that full CLONE.  So that I could do an easy restore back to the 516 of everything and have it all working as it should. 

Is rsync set up to back up the full data volume to the QNAP in one backup job?  If it is, is /.apps being backed up?

Message 4 of 8
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

I don't know how to back up the WHOLE data volume.  That would be what I want.  That way I could do a full complete restore of everything.  But I couldn't figure out how.  When I setup a backup,  and click on Location, I can't seem to get much of anything other than all my Media files and their directory's.  and a few other things,  I have no idea how to get it to backup  /.apps or any of the other places I had to manually install apps at and their config files.

If I can have a single Backup Job that I point to that back-up's EVERYTHING on the NAS to the Backup NAS in a single go.  Than afterward just backs up anything that has changed since the last backup, Great.   Then have the capability to restore that backup back onto the ReadyNAS, or pick and choose what I want to copy back over.  That's how I've always wanted things. 

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@JBDragon1 wrote:

I don't know how to back up the WHOLE data volume.  That would be what I want. 

Run the backup job on the source NAS, and select "data" as the source location (or whatever your volume name is).  You would need to confirm that hidden folders like /.apps are also backed up.

Message 6 of 8
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

How do you show hidden folders like /.apps?   

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

If you are using File Explorer, you can set the Windows File Explorer Options to show hidden files and folders.

You can also navigate into hidden folders even if they aren't displayed (nor instance entering \\nasname\data\.apps into the file explorer address bar).  You need to use NAS admin credentials for \\nasname\data though.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements