× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: *Solved* OS6 6.2.2 Frontview gone-fixed without SSH

kevinb1
Aspirant

*Solved* OS6 6.2.2 Frontview gone-fixed without SSH

I installed OS6 6.2.2 on a Ultra 6 Plus, been stable for several months now. I ran into a problem with the Monsta FTP app, and tried uninstalling it to reinstall. Oops. Hadn't seen the 6.2.2 bug posts.
Frontview is now unavailable, and the "/shares/" web page is unresponsive. I think apache is Having A Bad Day.

After reading around a bit, It looks like the ways to fix it are to:

A) Reinstall the app: Tried, didn't work.

B) Use OS Reinstall. OS Reinstall did not get rid of the problem. The IP is now dynamic, but still can't get any web pages.

C) Use SSH to remove a bad apache line: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79230&p=446538&hilit=apache2#p446538.
Uh, oh, I did not enable SSH. <facepalm>

G-T-H) Do a Factory Reinstall then restore from backups. OK, this will work, but I'd be willing to do some work to get around this. Save the Go-To-Hell option for last.

Is there a way to maybe use Tech Support mode to telnet in to fix it? Yep.

*WARNING: Do this CAREFULLY. This is in a place where Users Were Not Meant To Go!*

After doing some further reading, solved it this way:
1) Booted the machine into Tech Support Mode
2) used putty to telnet (port 23) into the IP shown on the front panel using root:[secret_Netgear_ReadyNAS_Support_password].

Tip: Google Search Is Your Friend.

3) since the boot partition is unavailable in Tech Support mode, I mounted it using:
echo DEVICE partitions > /etc/mdadm.conf
mdadm --examine --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf
mdadm --assemble --scan
mount /dev/md0 /mnt

4) change to the apache2's startup directory and look at the directory:
cd /mnt/etc/apache2/sites-enabled
ls -1

This is what I saw:
000-fv-http <-NOTE:DON'T REMOVE THIS!
000-fv-https <-NOTE:DON'T REMOVE THIS!
001-fv-https2 <-NOTE:DON'T REMOVE THIS!
090-monsta.conf <-removed app startup link!

5) moved the bad link from the apache2 startup directory to the directory above it by using:
mv 090-monsta.conf .. 

I could have removed it, but wanted to keep it until I knew I hadn't messed up.

I then unmounted the boot partition, cleared and synced, and rebooted by:
cd /
sync
umount /dev/md0
reboot

Fixed!
After FrontView came up, I enabled SSH, logged in using putty on SSH (port 22) using root:[admin_password]
and then went to remove the troublesome apache link:
cd /etc/apache2
rm 090-monsta.conf

logged off
...and done.
Message 1 of 10
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Very nice! Its indeed helpful for others having the same problem. Its very detailed as well 😄

Cheers!

And by the way, if ever you are not aware, the issue on FW v6.2.2 regarding the web-GUI goes inaccessible when uninstalling App/s is already addressed by a new Beta Firmware as per this forum link: viewtopic.php?t=78866
Message 2 of 10
kevinb1
Aspirant

Thanks for the good word! Nice to be appreciated.

Unfortunately, word is that the betas do not seem to reliably fix the Apache problem, at least on 6.2.3 Beta 10 and 6.3.3 Beta 10, and I hear rumors of other problems in these Beta releases:

see:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=80412&p=455404&hilit=6.2.3+beta#p455404

for more details on Frontview/Apache problems.

Other issues for the beta seem to be in the categories of network bonding, system lockups, backup jobs and DVBlink libraries, to name a few of the ones I've run across.

I have every belief that these will be overcome. Eventually. Hopefully before final release, but I'm not planning on running betaware real soon.
Message 3 of 10
RX
Luminary
Luminary

kevinb wrote:
Unfortunately, word is that the betas do not seem to reliably fix the Apache problem, at least on 6.2.3 Beta 10 and 6.3.3 Beta 10, and I hear rumors of other problems in these Beta releases:

see:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=80412&p=455404&hilit=6.2.3+beta#p455404

for more details on Frontview/Apache problems.

Other issues for the beta seem to be in the categories of network bonding, system lockups, backup jobs and DVBlink libraries, to name a few of the ones I've run across.

I have every belief that these will be overcome. Eventually. Hopefully before final release, but I'm not planning on running betaware real soon.

I also agree to what you have said. I am positive that all current issues with the Beta Firmware will be all ironed out to make its way for the official release.
Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

kevinb wrote:

see:

That problem is already fixed in an internal build so the fix will be in the next public build.
kevinb wrote:

Other issues for the beta seem to be in the categories of network bonding

The network bonding issue relates to 6.3.3 Beta on some ARM systems. It doesn't affect 6.2.3.
kevinb wrote:

system lockups

Users reporting that were already having problems on 6.2.2 on 100 series systems.
kevinb wrote:

backup jobs

That's working a lot better now.
kevinb wrote:

and DVBlink libraries

That's one of the apps that for which waiting for a production firmware update is a good idea, I think.
Message 5 of 10
zoocircle
Aspirant

Is this the only solution right now to fix this problem? I have had my readynas for a few weeks now and this happened to me. All of my programs are turned off so I really want to get this fixed because this thing is a paperweight right now until I can access the page and turn on my bittorrent/nzb clients.
I've tried so many different combinations of login/passwords for telnet and nothing seems to work, any suggestions?
Message 6 of 10
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Zoocircle,

This is not really recommended if you are not familiar with TelNet, a simple mistake might cause more harm to the unit than good. Best advise would be to contact support and let them access the unit for you,

This issue is caused by Apache not being able to start because of sites-enabled which contained “.conf file” left by the App after its been uninstalled. To solve this, a telnet/SSH access to the NAS is needed and that “.conf file” should be removed then restart Apache and the web-GUI of the NAS will be accessible again.

this is fixed by a beta FW you can find here: viewtopic.php?t=78866
Message 7 of 10
zoocircle
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll contact customer support. And I guess I exaggerated because I can still use it, just not how I want to.
Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi zoocircle,

I see support has emailed you the steps necessary to grant support the access to fix the unit.
Message 9 of 10
Peaced
Initiate

Re : *Solved* OS6 6.2.2 Frontview gone-fixed without SSH

Many thanks, this saved me !!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements