× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Some Music Controllers can't see Hi Res files

lestes
Aspirant

Some Music Controllers can't see Hi Res files

I am using a RN102 with DLNA turned on. Basically all of my control softwares can see the CD quality files, however only JRiver can see and control the Hi Resolution files above CD quality. Control softwares from PS3, Auralic Aries Lightning DS and ITunes can see the folder but nothing within them.

What does Jriver do that the others don't? Can I do something to get the others to see and play the files?
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Some Music Controllers can't see Hi Res files

what format are your files?

iTunes doesn't use DLNA btw. Are you using the itunes server in the RN102 or is iTunes accessing the share over the network?
Message 2 of 9
lestes
Aspirant

I am using the ITunes Server in addition to the DLNA Server. After further study, I should not have included Itunes. It does see all of the AIFF files, which is the only format I have that it should read.

More specifically my issue is that JRiver can read and relay all files (AIFF, DSD, DXF, etc) and a software called Lightning DS (made by Auralic for thier streamer/bridge called Aries). The JRiver is acting as control for the Aries and it serves up and plays all of my files. The Lightning DS has a discovery and find DNLA Server and it can see the files folders but does not import them. If I put the files on a thumb drive and insert them into the Aries USB port, the Lightning app can then find and play all files.

There appears to be something with the DLNA server on the ReadyNAS and the Lightning DS server that are not communicating. Again it can read and play the lower resolution files in the same directory. Odd. Hoping I just have some setting wrong but I don't get it since the CD files are playing fine through the NAS.
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

For any given file format, DLNA only works if both the server and the client understand / support the format. Transcoding servers can overcome this gap - but the RN100 series doesn't have a powerful enough CP to transcode (and you might well end up at 44.1 or 48 khz after the transcoding anyway).

When you are talking about JRiver, are you meaning the media center? That is, does JRiver have direct access to your media via CIFS or NFS, or is it getting the media through ReadyDLNA?
Message 4 of 9
lestes
Aspirant

Very interesting. JRiver Music Center is the software. It is acting as a Contol unit only. The chain provided I have it setup well is ReadyNAS (Server) JRiver MC 20 (Control) Auralic Aries (Renderer). The Aries is a Bridge/Streamer that would send the file to a DAC (then on to Preamplifier or Amplifier).

Is it possible the JRiver MC 20 is transcoding the files and Lightning DS needs the files transcoded for it? One is therefore relying on the ReadyDNLA Server and the other is not. Thank you for your help...it is giving me a direction to pursue. I'll get back to you in a night or two.
Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If the MC 20 is acting purely as a control point (with no direct access to the share), then in order to transcode it would need to direct the stream to itself, transcode, and then send the new stream to the Aries. ReadyDLNA would still be providing the original stream.

If the Aries has a display which tells you what format it is receiving, then you could probably tell if the MC 20 is changing the format.

Another experiment would be switching to Plex from ReadyDLNA and see if anything changes.

Based on the datasheet, it seems likely that the Aries will support your audio formats w/o needing a transcoding service. Though the DAC is limited to 192 khz sample rates.
Message 6 of 9
lestes
Aspirant

I'll do some more experimenting tonight. I've thought about trying Plex but was trying to keep it simple by just employing the ReadyDLNA. The Aries does not have a DAC built into it, it is only a Bridge that passes the signal on to a DAC (in this case it is a PS Audio Direcstream). Both the Aries and Directstream handle all file formats I have in their native format.

It is my understanding that the Aries doesn't want any transcoding. The JRiver MC 20 and the Lightning DS are merely pointing the share to the Aries. The Aries and the DAC read the native files and play it without any transcoding. I'll dig some more tonight. In addition to the Lightning DS and JRiver software, I also have a PS3, Itunes and a Samsung TV that can see the NAS. I am going to see if they can read the files. I know they will have some limitations in terms of reading the files.
Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I saw the Aries used an external DAC. Per the datasheet I saw, the interface is limited to 192 kbs samples (for all interfaces - toslink, coax, or USB 2)
Message 8 of 9
lestes
Aspirant

The USB audio host can deliver PCM from 44.1 to 384 KHz at 16-, 24- and 32-bit resolutions as well as DSD, Double-Rate DSD for compatible USB DAC. The other digital outputs are limited to 192 KHz at 24-bit in maximum according to S/PDIF standard.

Above is from the Auralic Website. the USB can handle higher rates.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements