× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Something happened, now it's going to take 84 hours to resync. Anyway to stop?

Blanker-2
Guide

Something happened, now it's going to take 84 hours to resync. Anyway to stop?

I was copying ~9TB of data over to my pc for backup and something happened.  The NAS stopped working after about 3TB.  Couldn't connect via browser, had to turn it off and now it's resyncing.  The logs on the admin page do not show anything.

Is there anyway to stop the resyncing?  I cannot wait 84 hours. (I'm going to wipe this thing after transferring the data anyway)

Is there anyother way to investigate what happened?

Thanks.

Model: EDA500|ReadyNAS Expansion Chassis 5-Bay,RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 1 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Something happened, now it's going to take 84 hours to resync. Anyway to stop?

Though it will be slower, you should be able to write to the NAS while it is syncing.

The resync would normally only be required if there was a drive error, so check the SMART for each of the drives.  If something doesn't look good, you may want to test that drive with manufacturer's tools once it completes the sync. 

Message 2 of 12
Blanker-2
Guide

Thanks.  I am backing up the nas to my pc.  I will be increasing the storage of the nas so I will need to wipe it when the transfer completes.  Transferring data while it's resyncing is not possible since I'm getting about 5MB/s.

How can I test a drive for smart errors?  I don't see anything in the manual or admin page.  Do I need to pop the drive into a pc and use seatools?

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well you could download the logs and look at e.g. smart_history.log. That would be a good place to start as that shows the changes in counts for key SMART values.

Message 4 of 12
Blanker-2
Guide

wow, how ignorant of me.  I assumed the logs would just give me the same info as what appears in the admin page.  Boy was I wrong.  I guess I need to brush up on my s.m.a.r.t. studies.  So, one of my 5 drives threw an error a while back and I forgot.  Would anyone like to take a stab at my questions?  and/or perhaps point me in the direction of a good read to understand the smart column headers?

1. It's pretty obvious that drive S301NJEF needs to go.  Do you think there is a way to fix it?  Maybe pop it in my pc, run seatools or chkdsk etc?

2.  Do the other 2 in question look like there's a cause for concern?

S301PF7C has 1222 cmd timeouts,
the 3 WD drive are showing -1 for ioedc & cmd timeouts.

(right-click on image, open in new tab)

nas1.JPG

nas2.JPG

Appreciate the help guys and girls.

Message 5 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Unfortunately, I can't see your snapshopts till a moderator approves them.  Command time-outs can be cause by something external to the drive.  Another drive that is failing could be a cause.  A "green" drive that fails to spin up fast enough can also cause them.  Most other SMART errors can only be caused by something on the drive itself.  If you have a lot of reallocated and/or pending sectors, then it's definately time to look at a replacement.

Don't even think of running CHKDSK or any other native Windows commands on the drive in a PC.  The drive is not formatted in a way Windows can read it, and it'll want to re-format it, wiping your data.  Tools like Seatools will work, and might be of some help here.  While it won't fix anything, it can help you decide if the command timeouts are really an issue with the drive.  Unfortunately, the best way to determine that is to run a full read/write test, which will also wipe the data.

The first step you should take is to make sure you backup is up to date.  With more than one drive showing issues, a failure in resync is a very real possibility, and would render your volume dead.

Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Reallocated sectors, current pending sectors and ATA errors do indicate problems. Though your smart-history log suggests those counts haven’t increased for months now from what I can see.

The next step would be to look in e.g. systemd-journal.log to try to confirm if that is the disk that dropped out leading to the resync after you rebooted the system.

Though the disk lettering may have changed after the reboot which would make it harder to confirm.

Assuming that disk is bad and that the other disks are fine removing that disk should get you a usable system again (although performance will be lower than usual in the degraded state).

Message 7 of 12
Blanker-2
Guide

Thanks guys.  Mgdm can you make sure my pics show?

I always keep 2 backups of my nas data.  I will be detroying the array  and building another array with more space.  

Is there a tool (using Windows) that will fix the bad drive?  I don't care about destroying the data on it?

Do you think those WD drives (with the -1) are ok?  They are WD green drives that I had used WDidle to lower the head parking frequency (as recommended by the guys in freenas forum)

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

The -1s on the WDC drives is normal - not sure why the NAS puts those values there, but it does for my drives too,

I'd replace the one with ~440 reallocated sectors.  Some folks do run tools which scan the disk and reallocate any found bad sectors, but I don't.  I figure a disk with that many bad sectors can't be trusted.

After that disk is dealt with, I'd watch the one with the ~1200 command timeouts.  If I saw the timeouts continuing to climb when all the other disks were healthy, then I'd replace it also.

Message 9 of 12
Blanker-2
Guide

Thanks Stephen

Message 10 of 12
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@StephenB wrote:

The -1s on the WDC drives is normal - not sure why the NAS puts those values there, but it does for my drives too,

The NAS just reads data from the drive and logs it. Manufacturers utilize those values for any purpose. -1 may just be how they identify specific things with that company (notice how that value is true only for WDC). Also, raw values that it provides in the SMART output may not really mean what they appear to be. You want to just look at Command Timeouts, Current Pending Sectors, Offline Uncorrectable, Reallocated Sectors, and ATA Errors.  Also, not all ATA errors are bad; it really depends on the root cause, which SMART can tell you more about when you get all the SMART details from a drive.

Message 11 of 12
Blanker-2
Guide

Thanks guys.  Not sure where else to look.  I tried looking in the systemd log but there was too much going on.

I popped that problem drive in my Windows machine and ran all the seatools they offered.  Did smart check, short, long, fix all - short and long, and finally a long read test.  All came back good.

I'm going to put it back in the array.  Hell, that's what raid6 is for right? 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements